Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone been able to get SmartSDR for Windows 11 to work on Mac M1 with Parallels 17?

Just purchased a new MacBook Pro with the M1 processor. I occasionally run Windows 11 (only when no other options 😊) using the Parallels Desktop 17 virtual machine. Unfortunately when I tried to load SmartSDR for Windows, a window came up saying it could only run on an Intel x86 or x64 based processors.

Has anyone worked thru this? If not, is there any hope of SmartSDR for Windows being updated to allow using the new family of Mac computers?

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

SmartSDR Windows is not built to run on ARM windows which is what Parallels is running.

VMWare plans to at some point support x86 Windows but no sure when. I am not sure how fast it will be though.

SmartSDR Mac runs beautifully and natively on M1 processor.

• K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭

Thank you, Mark. I do have SmartSDR for Mac on my M1 MacBook Pro and you are right, it works beautifully. It's actually much better than it was on the Intel chipped Mac's. On this new one, it runs WAAAAAAY cooler with FAAAAR better battery life. I need to get more familiar with what the Mac version of SmartSDR can and can't do, before I know if I'm losing anything by not being able to run the Windows version.

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭

ARM Windows seems to evolve and now it supports more programs than before, e.g., EZNEC, Green Heron software, FRStack and Expert amplifier control program. But no N1MM.

If you use the Flex locally, I would get a Windows PC. Remotely, I use Mac with the M1 processor and SmartSDR for MAC, and Teamviewing into a local PC.

Ignacy NO9E

• K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭

Thank you, Ignacy. I suspect that since Apple has made the commitment to the M1 chipset, N1MM and/or Parallels will figure out a way to make it work. I don't really need the Windows version, but knowing that there are times when what was working doesn't, and it's nice to be able to have a "Plan B" in the sock. I do have SmartSDR for Mac on my Mac, and it works awesomely. It also seems to do what I want to do in the wee bit of FT8 that I've dabbled in, maybe even more user friendly than the Windows way of doing it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the ability to one day do it on the Mac using Windows 11 and Parallels, but it is far from urgent. I was just hoping that someone might have figured out a fix.

Thank you again, and I wish you cheers and best 73,

Jim, K7JV

Garden City (Boise), ID

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.