Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flawless Remote CW Contesting with SmartSDR for Mac and your favorite Windows Logger!

W1VE
W1VE Member, Unconfirmed
I'm a Flex fan, and an avid remote contester. However, I've been less than pleased with the performance and complexity of SmartSDR for Windows.

In my tests with SSDR for Mac, I have found the performance to be excellent. The challenge for me is I REALLY like the Windows contest loggers, especially N1MM.

The solution I'm going to tell you about works with any Windows contest logger that only has a COM port CAT Interface.

First, watch this short video demonstration by Allan, EA3HSO...

https://files.w1ve.com/n1mm_ssdrmac_ea3hso.mp4

You will note N1MM keying SSDR Mac, with SIDETONE, on remote.

Their is an interim release on the Mac App Store. Marcus fixed a problem relating to
CW sidetone. It is version 2.0.17.

So, what is the magic sauce?

SSDR for Mac supports CAT over IP. The majority of Windows loggers do not.
There are multiple FREE products that map a virtual serial port to a TCP connection,
either as a server or as a client.

https://www.netburner.com/virtual-com-port/

https://www.hw-group.com/software/hw-vsp3-virtual-serial-port

I use the netburner version.

When you run the application, you create 1-to-N com port to TCP mappings.

SSDR for MAC allows you to create a CAT IP connection, typically on port 5001, on the
Mac LAN ip address where SSDR is running.

Now, you either have to have a Windows VM on the Mac (as Allan does), or, a separate PC
you use for logging, on the same LAN network as the Mac.

Install the Netburner or HW-group software on your Windows PC or VM. The steps are pretty much the same. In the Netburner software, you create a new virtual serial port, with a TCP CLIENT, connecting to the MAC's IP address, on port 5001.

Once you configure it, you will see the status in the software.

Start N1MM, and configure for Flex (at 38400 baud, though the speed does not really matter.)

You should have CAT control. If not, go to the N1MM Bandmap and click the red window to sync.

How does CW work?

Flex CAT supports the Kenwood KY CW-send command. So, with this solution there
is no key sending -- it's all done via macros.

In N1MM, you use the CAT1ASC command. For example to call CQ,
{CAT1ASC KY CQ CQ DE *;}
(* is your call, ! is the call in the entry window.)
N1MM has lots of extra buttons in the BandMap area, so you can do any SSDR CAT you
would like.

A very special thanks to Allan, EA3HSO, for his help and testing, and Marcus, DL8MRE, for his quick action in fixing sidetone for CAT-based CW. Amazing!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Enjoy!

Gerry Hull
W1VE
Tagged:

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

To add.

In my case, after moving to M1 Macs, and away from virtual Windows, I now run Windows 10 pro, on a separate NUCi7 PC. The PC type is not important, but, with Windows 10 Pro, you can enable Windows Remote Desktop.

On the Mac side, I run the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client. Works great. I have my windows apps on one monitor and all else on Mac desktops/windows. All of the controls and copy paste work between all of the desktops.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭

Is the only advantage of this a good CW sidetone?

Is SSDR CAT under local Windows slower than SSDR CAT with CAT port from the Mac?

Is there any solution for voice contesting? Can SSDR for Mac carry DAX signals with redirection?

Ignacy NO9E