Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius XL Auto tune

KM4CQG
KM4CQG Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Tuner Genius XL

Hi Guy's

I'm operating the 6700 in SO2R with the PGXL and Tuner Genius and PGXL.

Running 3.2.29 all is communicating and integrated fine. The Tuner is working perfectly with the Antenna Genius so no issues.

What has me confused is do I have to either manual select tune on the Tuner or using the utility program tune all the time. Is there a way to have them just auto tune without and input from me?

Basically can I just run it in Auto???

Does the Tuner have to be physically turned off with the rear switch or will it sense non use and turn off like the Antenna Genius??

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

In answer to your first question, the Tune button on the tuner is the same as the Tune button in the TGXL utility program. I have the tuner and amp on the floor so it is much more convenient and easier to use the utility program.

My experience with the TGXL is to use the Tune button if the antenna can be easily matched (<10:1). Once the tuner finds the match it is stored in memory. So the next time you go to that antenna it should find the match in memory thus you do not have to use the Tune button. I have a 43' vertical and I have to do a manual tune (Section 7.2 and 7.3.2 in TGXL manual). Once I find the match with the manual tune I have to either press the C1 button on the tuner or select the button on the far left in the utility program to force a save of the information in memory. I believe the range in memory is 25khz on either side of the tuned frequency. You would do this for the entire band and store the results in memory. So the next time you put the radio on that frequency or close to the frequency it will automatically set the values for C1, L, and C2 without doing a Tune. Once you have setup the tuner, the need to use the Tune button will be minimal. I believe there are 10 memories per band except on 160m.

The current draw is minimal on the tuner so sometimes I leave it on but normally I will turn off the tuner (button on back) and from what I understand is this disconnect the output ports from the antennas. I have 1x3 tuner so I set ANT 3 to my dummy load with ANT 1 to the beam and ANT 2 to the vertical. So I usually select ANT 3 before I shut down but I suspect it might not be necessary.

I would add that I keep a spreadsheet with the Band, Freq, C1, L, C2 so if there is an update to the firmware or something gets **** up where I lose what is memory I can easily put the values back into the memory for each band/freq.

Please step in if I missed something or gave incorrect information.

Don - kx9q

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

Don

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I see the on some of the Frequencies the memory function working as you described.

I'm at my FL location and since lighting is always a possibility, I don't like keeping things plugged in.

Transition from the HF-Auto to the Tuner Genius I appreciate the superior integration.

Ian

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

Ian

I have the original AT-AUTO and even though it would store frequencies and setting it would be a moment or two for the inductor to get to the correct setting. If I went from 10m to 80 m then a longer moment!

It took a while to understand how to use this tuner and fortunately I have a ham friend who lives about 10 minutes from me who went through the same process with his TGXL. Yes the integration is great with the radio and amp and the tuner.

Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.