Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Operation noise on TGXL

Hi. Can anyone tell me if there is much of a “clicking and clacking” relay sound from the TGXL when it is instructed to find a tuning solution? I once had an auto-tuner made by M.F.J. and it made quite a fuss when tuning to reduce swr. It is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I would like at least some first hand info. It would be sat on my shack bench right next to the 6600M.

Many thanks. Mike.

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

When memorizing the initial tuning solutions the TG-XL relays click for 2-3 seconds, but once the memories are set up on each band, returning to a previously memorized band segment the TG-XL makes one relay click noise and it's tuned in a fraction of a second.

KF4HR

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Thank you Butch. I guessed there would be such. I assume it would be a lot quieter than the HF-Auto, which has whirring motors to distract (or impress, if you like!).

73 Mike G4GWH

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Once you set up the TG XL tuning memories during operating it is a LOT faster than the HF Auto. And you don’t have to lubricate it over time.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

The HF-Auto utilizes Step motors to turn a differential capacitor and a Roller inductor. These produce that Hum we hear when tuning.

The new Tuner Genius utilizes electronic circuits to mimic same effect and clicks and clacks to find a solution. The good thing is it automatically memorizes a solution and the next time at that frequency you hear nothing.

Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.