Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR and a new knee!

Options

Hi all,

On Dec 23rd I had my left knee replaced. Prior I had made sure my MacBook Pro, SmartSDR, PGXL, TGXL and Antenna Genius where all setup for remote ops including power cycle ability.

By remote ops I could not go down stairs to my op position and would be limited to upstairs on my laptop.

I must stay this setup is amazing. During my convalescence I operated FT8, CW (K3Y) and worked a lot of stations right my my little Mac Book Pro.

Everything just works. Yes I was using keyboard CW for SKCC but I didn't really have a choice. My straight key is downstairs and off limits. But the CWX panel in SmartSDR Mac worked great.

Ham Radio, SmartSDR, FlexRadio and getting my TGXL a week or so before surgery make for a great time off. While there was pain, there was much fun to be had as well.

Thanks to Flex, Marcus, 4o3a and many others for providing such great tools.

Mark WS7M

Comments

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Mark. I had both knees replaced years ago and they are still cranking along. Based on your equipment setup, I am wondering what was more painful .. the knee surgery or seeing the VISA bill for the first time?

W7NGA - Daniel

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I'm on my third knee replacement (left leg). Second was 18 yrs after first and third was 2 yrs after second due to ultra rare fungal infection. I had to hang out on the couch for 14 weeks when they removed my knee (second one) to treat the infection. Remote couch operation definitely works!

Hobbling around on one leg and a walker for the 14 weeks was tough. No pressure on left leg at all.

Then there was a problem with the anti-fungal meds which almost killed me.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Daniel - Good to hear both still working LOL. I will probably need my right one done in a year or so. Company was very successful last year so ham radio money easy to spend. Maybe not for the future though. LOL

David - Wow... ouch... wow... I can't even imagine. I was walking on my new knee 2.5 hours after surgery. Pretty amazing. The recovery is still rough though at times. But getting through it.