Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Expert 1.5FA Overdrive Parametric Settings

Options
Terry Erlacher
Terry Erlacher Member ✭✭
My Flex 6700 power input to the Expert 1.5FA is 20 watts. The Parametric Settings per page 40 of the Expert 1.5FA manual are 25 Low Power 30 Mid Power and 40 High Power. In CW Mode I am getting an Overdrive Alarm on Low and Mid Power amp settings. I do not get an overdrive alarm on High Power. On SSB Phone I do not have an overdrive alarm for the 3 amplifier power settings. The antenna is a ground mounted Hustler 6BTV with 60 radials approximately 30 feet from the shack. Looking for advise on resolving the CW Overdrive alarms when I desire to run low or mid power. I have seen posts on DDUTIL to manage power settings per band, but have not tried the software. 73, Terry KC4DV

Best Answers

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

My Spe 1.5 manual doesnt show any power drive settings for the Flex.. I cant see what you are meaning. I thought you started on low power, and set the drive at a low level eg: 8 watts and worked up from there. If you are getting an overdrive alarm, you need to reduce the drive power. I use the SPE app on the pc to control the amp, and drive levels. I dont use ddutil

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Parametric EQ settings will not resolve overdriving the 1.3k amp.

Set you TX Band settings table properly.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options

The parametric settings have nothing to do with EQ. The manual refers to " you must set a parametric value having the format “[PC=****]” (where **** is a numerical value having a range from 000 to 100 which represents the transceiver’s power output expressed in percentage)." Note it is as a percentage and, in my experience with the 1.5, is quite inaccurate. Adjust this upwards as Wayne suggests in a constant carrier mode. If you operate all bands this is a lot of settings but once done you should be good to go for all modes. If not, which did happen to me, SPE will assist with internal ALC calibration.

• Terry Erlacher
    Terry Erlacher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    For CW I lowered the input drive to 4 watts for Amp Low 8 watts Amp Mid and 12 watts Amp High. these setting are giving me 500 watts on Low, 1000 watts on Mid and 1500 watts on High. I set the Parametric parameters to 10, 15 and 25. Amazing how little power CW takes to drive the Expert 1.5FA Amplifier. Thanks Everyone for your help. 73 and Happy Holidays de Terry KC4DV
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Ok you are talking parameters in the amp and not radio. When people discuss “parametric” it usually has to do with parametric type of audio equalizers.

be careful on drive power. I understand there have been quite a few cases where the LDMOS device was damaged by too much drive and SPE America would not honor warranty. Err on the side of caution.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.