Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there a cable to interface the Ameritron ARI-500 and ALS-1300 Amp to the Flex?

Options
gkendrick
gkendrick Member
One of the amplifiers that I have is an Ameritron ALS-1300 which uses an interface box an Ameritron ARI-500. The Ameritron ARI-500 interface box allows the radios to select the band that the Amp is going to operate on automatically by sending band change data to the Amp through the interface box. The ARI-500 has several interface cables that are made to work with various newer radios ( i.e. Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM) and connects via various jacks/ports on back of the radios.

Does anyone know if there is a cable made for the Flex 6400 (Flex 6000 series) radios?

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

You would need to make your own. One thing to keep in mind is do not use ALC to have the a,p direct the radio to cut back power. Instead adjust the TX BAND SETTINGS table for proper drive power for each band.

Here is the pin out for the ARI500 radio port. You would need two cables coming off the RJ45 connector. One goes to the PTT in on back of radio and second to a DB9 female for CAT data. Then you would need a USB to RS232 serial adapter that uses the FTDI chipset. Plug the DB9 female from custom cable into that adapter and then plug the adapter into the USB port on back of radio. In the radio settings under USB cable you would configure that cable as a CAT cable and follow the TX slice.

ARI-500 (Radio Input) RJ-45 Connector Wiring

Pin 1 Ground connects to pin 1 of Radio Com port and both shield of RCA PTT and pin 5 of DB9 female.

Pin 3 (RXD) connects to pin2 of DB9 female

Pin 4 (TXD) connects to pin 3 of DB9 female

Pin 5 not connected.

Pin 6 not connected.

Pin 7 not connected.

Pin 8 not connected.

Pin 9not connected.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for this information. However, I am a nervously new amp user and do not wish to **** anything up, especiallly my FLEX. I am not able to construct a stepwise or comprehensive answer as to how one would use an ALS-500M amplifier with a FLEX 6400. I will post this question anew but wanted to see if anyone got this here?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

See my updated answer in the ALS600 to 6400 subject here on the Community.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.