Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJTx issues after computer failure.

KC0EM
KC0EM Member ✭✭
edited November 2021 in Third-Party Software

My hard drive died, so I bought a new computer. I am trying to reinstall all my programs. I had a problem when I tried to install WSJT-X. I have a 6500. I click on the radio pane and choose FlexRadio 6xxx. It asks me for “Network Server.” What goes in that box?

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The WSJT-X instructions say that the Network Server box should normally be blank, but in my limited attempt at using the Flex 6XXX interface, I never got that working.

I found that setting the radio to be a Kenwood TS-2000 works great with my 6400. It does occupy a virtual com port which you need to set up in CAT.

So you might want to try a blank Network Server, and if that doesn't work, you can try setting it to be a TS-2000.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

In SmartSDR CAT create a TCP CAT port with port number 5004.

in WSJT-X select Flex 6xxx and enter 137.0.0.1:5004 in network address.

Dave wo2x

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭

Thank you!!! I felt like an idiot.

"VC"

• KD0RC

Hey Dave, should that be 127.0.0.1?

• KD0RC

Thanks Dave, I have had that set up poorly for quite a while!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, 127.0.0.1:5004 (or whatever CAT TCP port you set up in SmartSDR CAT)

Too tired to proofread yesterday ;-/

Dave wo2x

• jimi
    jimi Member
    in plain english.....what does maestro do ? do i need it to run a flex 6600m ? if i buy a flex 6600m do i get a nice front panel or do i have to use my personal computer ?
  • KD0RC

Hi Jimi, if you have an M model (6400M or 6600M), you have an all-in-one radio that includes a front panel. It will work with or without a computer. You do not need a Maestro to operate any of the Flex 6000 radios, but it is nice if you have a non M model.

The Maestro is a separate unit that is very very similar to the front panel on the M models and can be used with any Flex 6000 radio. It can be used locally or remotely over the Internet.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

You will get a nice front panel with the 6600M. You have also the option to use your computer as well if you want. You can either use the PC on it’s own, or in conjunction with the 6600M in “Smart Control” mode, which enables you do a lot with the nice front panel controls and buttons etc. besides playing with the computer software/screen. I find the best is to have Smart Control mode, which gives the best of all worlds. Do not forget you will need to download the Windows SDR software, or, in my case, the Mac version from Marcus on Apple App store. (about £160 I think……)

73 de Mike G4GWH

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

By the way, you do not NEED internet to operate a Flex Radio. The Maestro comes into it’s own if you want to work from a remote location, and you would then need internet access. having said that, of course you can just use the maestro at home plugged into a 6000 legacy that does not come with a front panel screen. eg. 6400, 6600, 6700, et al.

cheers. Mike.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

From my perspective, a maestro with a non M radio is the preferred combination. The 6400, 6600 is a pretty big box of mostly empty space. With a maestro or a pc the radio can be remoted to a shelf under the desk, a bookshelf, or some place near the antenna entrance. The maestro provides the knobs, etc. for about the same price as an M model, with a lot of flexibility for location, like the back deck or patio. Both the pc and the maestro can be used simultaneously, or with the maestro in smart control mode for the knobs, and the display on the larger pc monitor.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.