Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna analyzer

Options
[{"insert":"I am a new FlexRadio user, now with my 6600M for two weeks. I find I am in need of an antenna analyzer for HF and 6 Meters. I am interested to hear what the community thinks is a good one to check out my antennas. I am not an electrical engineer and do not work in the radio industry. (But I can repair your bones when you fall off your tower.) I would like to consider a rig like the Rig Expert AA-55. Let me know your experience and recommendations. Thanks! \n"}]
Tagged:

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think RigExpert analyzers are excellent. I have an AA-55 and like it a lot.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use an AA-54 and since I got it, I use to measure everything, even dummy loads. Very versatile instrument, tells more than most ham grade analyzers. The monochrome screen is easier to read in sunlight than some color models. And the provided Antscope program allows printing of the info for later use.

K9DUR has software that will scan the swr of an antenna using the flex.

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭
    Options

Just to add a bit here. I have the AA-600. Why the heck is that? Who needs 600 MHz analysis?

Antenna analysis scales linearly with size. I learned this when I met Mark---He designed one of the best old school antennas ever made. That was the KT-34A 4 element beam without traps. It was perhaps the most efficient antenna of the day. The SteppIR of yesteryear if you will. I saw a tiny little beam model he was working on for some other purpose. (It wasn't the KT-34A but a UHF or VHF/UHF antenna).

I have done this. I have scaled HF antennas by a physical factor of say X. I made them smaller to be easy to build and test (much like Mark did). This in turn meant I needed to analyze them X higher in frequency. This has saved me a lot of money. Consider all your uses when you purchase a Rig Expert. They are super nice!

-Hal

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I use the analyzer from EU1KY. It gives a great graph on a nice high resolution screen. There are now cheaper knock-offs that probably work as well.

• docjohn
    docjohn Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Greatly appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. I like the idea that I finally have a radio that I will never completely understand, and there is always something new to learn about it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.