Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 multi-flex V3 software and WSJTX

Rick Samoian
Rick Samoian Member
edited July 2021 in Third-Party Software
Hi Group
I have 2 questions re: the flex V3 software, using WSJTX, and FT8, I hope that you can enlighten me.
1. Will the V3 software allow two users to hookup to the flex radio (one remote on local user),on the same band? In this case 6M.
2. will it also allow two users to transmit, not at the same time, but one after the other, with the other in the monitoring mode?
Why? we would like to setup a 1.5KW 6m pa and our 6500 flex and hopefully both working 6M DX concurrently on 6M.
de Rick, W6SR

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Rick, yes to question 1 and "sort of" on question 2. The 6500 has one Spectral Capture Unit (SCU), so that means both have to share a receiving antenna. So while one transmits, the other can't hear. So if this is for casual operation with each station taking turns (and a way to coordinate with one another), it may be perfectly adequate. If this is a contest situation with one station running a freq and the other hunting multipliers, it could also work, but will still require good coordination and is limited by the single SCU. If this is for two contesters to operate independently, then I don't think you would be happy with this setup. What really does not work, is monitoring the other station by listening to the radio.

If you have a 6600 or 6700 with two SCUs, then by careful separation of antennas, one can listen while the other transmits, especially if it is on a different band (same band may or may not work depending on antenna proximity and power levels). There is still just one transmitter, so coordination is necessary in this case as well.

• Rick Samoian
    Rick Samoian Member
    [{"insert":"Thanks I appreciate answer/comments \n It sounds like we can make this work, making serial contacts on the same band while both of us share viewing and control the same slice. Again Thanks de Rick, W6SR\n"}]
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Cool, I am glad that will work! Since you will be using MultiFlex, each station will only see their own slice, not the other's. That is not a problem as you both just put your slice on the same frequency.

One outside-the-box thought... My homebrew TeensyMaestro will connect to a radio with two clients already connected using MultiFlex. One side shows one person's slice and the other side shows the other person's slice. The TM can control each slice independently, or lock the two together so that the frequency of one slice is tracked by the other slice, and vice-versa. With a pair of these boxes you would always know where the other guy is tuned, or both be able to move both radios simultaneously.

I haven't played with Node-Red yet, but I would guess that the same thing could be accomplished with the Node-Red software flows on a computer or a Raspberry Pi.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.