Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Genius 8x2

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just received my 8x2 antenna genius from Flex and I'm starting to set it up.

I notice there is no section dedicated to this product in the forums so I'm posting here. If I've somehow missed the AG section please move this move there.

First: I did not receive a DC power cable as described in the manual with my AG. No big deal as I have a bunch of these around.

Setup:

My goal is to have "radio A" be my flex radio and "radio B" my Icom 7610, at least for the time being.

In that vein, I had hoped that the AG software allowed for manual selection of the antenna for "radio B" but it does not appear to do so.

Unless I'm wrong I only have the options of LAN control (suited for Flex Radio) and BCD which means another cable has to be run from the Icom to the AG to make that work.

Has any one else setup AG for use with an Icom?

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Mark

My Antenna Genius is in the mail. Should be here on Tuesday.

About using different methods for control on each of the AG ports, my reading of the manual indicates it is possible by using the DIP one or two switch configurations, for each AG port:

Alan WA9WUD

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

Hi Alan,

Yes, but like I said, the BCD control will require running another cable from the Icom to the AG which in my case is 30 feet away in a shed.

What I have yet to figure out is if there is a way to put "radio B" in a manual mode where I can delete an antenna for radio B using software. Don't see a way to do it yet.

I've asked 4o3 for the API and maybe there is a simple command to send.

If all you plan to use with this device is a Flex radio then it is super nice and easy. For my particular operating habits I like at times to use the Icom and other time the flex. So I have my Icom running into port B of the PGXL amp, and was going to take that B output and put it into "radio B" on the genius.

I would be perfectly happy for now to manually select antenna B using the software but can't see a way to do it. Obviously I will need an automated solution if I keep this setup in the future. Perhaps BCD or I might try to write a small app that makes my Icom look enough like a flex to the AG to band follow it.

Mark

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I did not read carefully enough, Mark.

I cannot comment further on the AG capabilities.

If you cannot find a AG solution, there are ways to use a TCP connection to move the BCD code from a server to a client device. In my case, I would use Raspberry Pis with Node-Red via a MQTT broker.

Alan

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I am able to switch both ports manually in SO2R.

Ranko describes how to do it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIgc3c6-Tk

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

Hey Larry,

Thanks for that. "None" was not really intuitive in this case LOL.

I've reconfigured my AG and that solves the issue.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

Doesnt the Icom output CI-V. Dont you need a decoder. Ive got a Array solutions Bandmaster V for doing this. I only have the Antenna Genius 8x1 though atm.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

Hi Wayne, Yes CI-V so would need something to convert to BCD. The Array Solutions product looks nice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.