Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

S7 solid line noise. suggestions.

Good morning all. I run a 6600M on a carolina windom antenna at about 34 feet. I have read the manual a lot but still can't mitigate this noise. I have torid cores on every cable, some have two. I have lowered and raised the AGC-T. Have tried noise reduction button on the radio. Take it down quite a bit but also takes the signal down. Kind of at my wits end with this. Anyone have a magic fix for this???

KB4OIF

John

Answers

• Jeff_W4DD
    Jeff_W4DD Member ✭✭

It is always best to eliminate the noise at its source. Have you tried running your radio off of a battery and flipping the breakers off? Can you describe the noise. 60Hz buzz, always on no matter the weather, second to second variations or not, etc.

Jeff W4DD

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭

Frying bacon noise. It's S7 on 40 meters. S4 on 20, S3 on 17, S3 on 15, S2.5 on 12, S2 on 10, and S1 on 6. Have to figured out how to run it off a battery. Have not done the breaker thing. Will do that soon as I get back from the dog groomers.

KB4OIF

John

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

FYI..... I had a broadband noise that was caused by the laptop charger that was running SSDR. It was a nice Dell charger that just started spraying noise all the sudden. I had a spare and problem, for me, was solved.

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭
    I'm a fan of turning the whole house off at the mains breakers and running off battery as an initial debugging technique also. Then I use an AM aircraft hand held receiver to go around the house and find the source. Good licj with it.
  • Roger Hartel
    Roger Hartel Member ✭✭

I have a similar situation, Carolina Windom in attic at about 34 feet and a 6600.

I have noise spikes every 30 KHz on all bands. I have Ethernet wiring in the house with a router and a couple of switches. If I shut the network stuff off the noise is gone. Ferrite on every cable no help.

TNF is a big help.

Roger

• Jeff_W4DD
    Jeff_W4DD Member ✭✭

Roger,

Generally I have not found the Ethernet cables to be much of a problem, especially if using Cat 5e or better. However, the SMPS (power supplies) for the router and cable modem can be very noisy. I changed out my cable modem ps to a linear type as it was a commonly available 12V type. For the ps for the router (19VDC), I used snap on ferrites at each end of the SMPS power line that connects to the router. I plug both of these into a Trip Lite Isobar. These things reduced my 80M noise level by 2 S units. It's been a while since I did a ckt breaker test so I need to do that also. I generally like to do that about once a year as each year more and more electronic devices make there way into the QTH.

de Jeff, W4DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.