Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VARA FM on Flex-6700

Options

I am a new user of VARA FM with Winlink Express and I am currently in the process of testing the capabilities of this mode with various rigs. I am currently experimenting with 1200 baud (Narrow) VARA FM, although I would like to move to 9600 (Wide) in the near future. I am using RMS Packet as a gateway and connecting to that gateway with a Kenwood TH-F6 and an older Signalink USB external sound card. My first tests were with RMS Packet and VARA FM interfaced with my Icom IC-9700. I am able to obtain excellent 1200 baud performance with the Icom, but it does not have a 9600 baud output. 1200 baud VARA FM is many times faster than standard 1200 baud packet with this setup.

Thinking ahead to 9600 baud operation, I decided to try interfacing RMS Packet and VARA FM with my Flex-6700 and 2MLDPA 2 meter amplifier. I seem to get performance similar to the IC-9700 when sending a 33K file but when trying to receive the same file (sent from a regular email client), the download is extremely slow and thus this setup is essentially unusable. I have tried both FM and DFM on the Flex-6700. The main reason that I am considering use of the 6700 is the DFM mode which on paper should be suitable for 9600 baud, but I cannot get 1200 baud working satisfactorily yet.

I realize that I will need a newer Signalink USB with its wider bandwidth for 9600 baud.

Are there any settings which I should change in the 6700 such as transmit bandwidth? I really would like to get the 6700 working as I do not want to have to purchase a new 2 meter rig with a 9600 baud output just for 9600 baud VARA FM.

Thanks!

Ed, K0KC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.