Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Longer cable to router

Options
I need a slightly longer cable to my router, can I use a standard CAT5e or CAT 6 cable obtainable from Amazon?

Best Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

you should use CAT6 or better and up to 50m is no problem

73 Chris DL5NAM

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is standard. As Chris stated, you can use normal but high quality CAT6. My club station has 180ft buried with no issues.

Answers

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Terry yes you can... the brand name Cable Matters has been recommended in the past. You want to make sure you have a good quality cable.

Ronald

• Terry G4POP
    Terry G4POP Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, so it's a standard cable not reworked by flex with different plug wiring?
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Terry:

Standard cable. Thanks for your work with LOG4OM.

Gayle K0FLY

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Be careful not to be resonant at RF. Avoid 1/4 wavelength or multiples.

Some folks swear by shielded cable (perhaps with shield cut at one end to avoid ground loops). Other folks say not to worry.

Cat 5/ Cat6? My attitude: try it and see how it goes. But Cat 6 won't hurt.

I've had some troubles with 1 Gb connections (with Maestro) that went away when I used a 100 Mb router. Ymmv!

73 Martin AA6E

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Weird enough, but I also replaced a 1gb switch with a repurposed router (WiFi off) 100mb ports, and the network dropping the flex went away. Something internal in the way the data stream is handled, I guess.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.