Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AGC-T Sweet Spot

Options
Butch
Butch Member ✭✭✭

I recently watched Tim's Youtube video titled Flex 6000 Receiver Tuning:

Excellent video. At the 39:00 point in the video Tim's talks about the AGC-T sweet spot setting, and for clarification shows a yellow dash line indicating a visual AGC-T reference.

It would be really slick if there was an on/off option in SmartSDR for such a yellow dashed line show up on the screen, for a second or two, as the operator adjusted their AGC-T control. This would give an interesting visual perspective between the noise floor and the AGC-T setting. Anyone else think this might be a useful feature to SmartSDR?

Butch

KF4HR

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Butch, I agree!! Tim does a great job of explaining the AGC-T and his graphic makes you want that line in real-time. I don't know how hard it would be to implement. I am pretty sure it is not trivial to get the AGC gain level to reference the pan adapter noise floor level. Would probably depend on the selected bandwidth and panadapter display width and other factors that I don't understand.

I tried to come up with a formula where you look at the noise level on the panadapter and subtract 95 dB to get the AGC-T setting. I thought I really had something there but it does not work that way... I have learned to adjust it according to Tim's (strong) recommendation, and that really does work well.

BUT... If even an approximate line to get you in the ballpark could be implemented, I think that would be great.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes it has been suggested on the forum many times and many years ago. I believe it even showed up on the feature request survey that Flex completed more than a year ago or maybe even two years ago. I don't remember clearly as it seems time moves slowly with anything Flex.

John K3MA

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a link to the idea to automate the AGC-T setting and also display the visual line. It is the number 1 most requested idea at 101 votes. It was submitted 7 years ago. Not sure if they look at the votes these days to prioritize enhancements but it may still eventually happen. Feel free to add more votes and comments it you would like to see this feature.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/6389202/option-to-automate-the-agc-t-setting/p1

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6700 Win10 SSDR V2.4.10

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I could see where automating the AGC-T adjustment could easily lead to complaints about the automated adjustment being too tight or loose for personal preference.

Perhaps FRS will see fit to add the graphic representation of the AGC-T control in SSDR v4.0.

Butch KF4HR

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Butch, Look at what trouble the Profile Autosave has and does cause for MANY of us.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Butch and Bret,

One major difference with the automated AGC-T feature is that it also includes a switch to use the current manual process as well. That is shown on the mockup, so there is nothing lost. And you can also elect to see the visual line showing the AGC-T setting or not. I included both as user selectable options in the request. I anticipated that there would be times or users that preferred the manual process.

By the way, I’m also in favor of the profile autosave ON/OFF switch and waiting for it before upgrading past 2.4.10.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If not auto, maybe difficult to implement, how about a "suggestion" by a line across the spectrum scope? Then use it, or change to your preference. No auto/man switching. This may be an easier calculation to implement.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.