Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommend eq settings for SSB and AM on my 6400

I get bad audio reports on AM with my 6400 using an Inrad 629 mic and am wondering what folks are using for settings for both AM and SSB. I hear others Flex's and they sound great on AM. The complaints I receive are lots of mid and highs and no bass. My current settings for AM are:
63- -5
125- 1
250- 2
500- 3
1k- 5
2k_ 7
4k_ 5
8k_ 8

I haven't tried SSB but will give it a go tonight. Another question is are folks finding the Inrad 629 a good AM/SSB mic. Anyway suggestions are welcome.

73 Steve
K1MV

Best Answer

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Mine sounds good now, the rest is how you run the eq and the processor. It is a very sanitary mic on am. If you had crusty connections did you buy that used? Between the m629 and say a Shure SM58 I probably should have gotten the 58. If its missing lows after readjusting the eq, something is wrong the 629 is flat across like the shure is... very little output climb as the frequency goes up. Thats why the eq boost on higher frequencies.. If you got it used there may be something else changed in there... I suppose you could try like a heil Pro 781 see if there's somebody nearby that can bring their's over for a test. Good luck. Good audio is good, perfect audio is puuurrrrrfect. ERIKA DD

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

Steve, I use a 6500 and an M629. The first thing I found when I received my M629 and hooked it up through my Mic Boom and with the 6500 I go in through the back panel with an XLR connector.

Here's what I found. Whenever I'd touch the microphone carcass like to move the boom or whatever I'd get a HUM in the audio. Figuring it was MY DOING I completely took apart all of the XLR connectors again and inspected my connections. THEY WERE INDUSTRY PERFECT and everything was correct. SO what was the problem?

I took apart the M629 and low and behold. This is a brand new microphone that I had bought from DXE and I wasn't using it with the hokey cord and little plug it came with... BUT WHAT I FOUND was the Rear microphone built in the back connector was wired completely wrong. It was really goofed up it needs + to + and - to Minus, it is a Balanced mic. Ground had been hooked to the + wire I ended up removing everything on that connector and wiring the INSIDE of the Microphone correctly... Cleaned it up, performed much better However that mic isn't a big punch mic... I start with and have rest my built in 6500's EQ. I push the EQ ON and TX and it's selected for the Inrad M629 I'm -3 on 63hz, 0, 125hz, +4 at 250 hz, +8 at 500Hz, up all the way on 1k, 2K, 4K, and +1 at 8KHz Now something to note I am a Girl, and have a voice with no bass in it pretty much. But I am attempting to boost the highs with this microphone. I do run in the DX position on AM and a minimum of 6KZ, but run as high as 10 KHz wide. Leave the carrier at 100% which is around 25W you need to watch how hard you hit the mic as you can over power the carrier and you'll end up sounding double sideband with no carrier.

On SSB I run anything I feel like for width and will turn the processor all the way to DX+ and push up the mic gain, I never run wider than 4Khz on SSB.

Good luck, Erika DD

• Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Erica, thanks so much for your comments about the Flex and the M629. When it first arrived the mic crackled and snapped whenever I touched the connection where it goes into the microphone base. I spoke with Bob Wells and I suggested maybe a shot of Deoxit on the connectors to which Bob agreed. That stopped the snap and crackle but it stills sounded bad. I'll give your settings a try but I'm thinking the M629 may be OK for SSB but not so good on AM. It's very concerning that you had to rewire the mic. I'm very tempted to buy a Heil or some other mic to see if it would improve my audio.

Thanks again
    73 Steve
    K1MV
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

• Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Erika, The M629 was new and I bought it the same time as I bought the 6400 I'm tempted to return the Mic and buy a Heil 781 or PR-30, but now that I've changed the eq settings I need to get on-air and see what the reports are like. I tend to get on the air with a bunch of "audioholics" so it takes some work to reach their levels of acceptance. At the same time they're very helpful with tuning and the more technical aspects of the hobby. Great picture BTW.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve MV
  • Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    Looks like the M629 was shorted or mis-wired like your's was. I sent it back to Flex and they refunded my money. In the meantime a radio friend loaned me a mic he'd received from another ham friend and low and behold everything is better. Got a report that my audio was great! Now I have a couple of mics on order and I'll see if they make any difference if not I'll stick with the one my friend loaned me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve K1MV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.