Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Start up. Asked to check out a Flex 6700

Asked to check out a Flex 6700, no history of the radio, no software, all I have access to is the radio and power cable. Don't know if radio works. Is there any kind of startup procedure without a $$$ software package at this stage. Would love to hook up with a local San Francisco Bay Area Elmer for a basic startup so I can tell owner if they should proceed.

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

I'd probably sit down to a windows PC computer of reasonable performance capability that has internet access. and an additional RJ-45 input on the internet router so a second computer could be connected..... Both my computer and my radio use direct connections to the switch on my wifi router. YMMV. Think of the radio as a "SERVER a Radio Server it is a computer" it needs connection to the internet to get going, and the software on the PC or mac is a client to talk to that radio server. By doing that you have internet access for the License server at flex that reliably informs everybody what version it is and what software you need to have, gives you the ability to download software and easily upgrade or downgrade the software to the computer AND THE RADIO FIRMWARE, the two need to match for it to run. I do recommend downloading the QUICK start Guide for the 6000 series radios from flex documentation and read it.

My myself would just hook everything up, dummy load on the ant 1 connection turn on the radio. Download manuals install v1.12.1 and bring up the software see what the radio and license servers have to say. You might be surprised at what version is on the radio. But mine had a v1 software then you won't need to $$$$ write the check as it were. Just upgrade to the latest version of V1 start there....

Erika DD

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Thereis no need to purchase any software in this situation, only need to download a version of SmartSDR that matches the version installed as firmware in the radio. Call flex with the serial number, and they can give you the installed (licensed) version. Then download the software (free) and the manual (free) for that version. Connect a pc directly to the radio with an Ethernet (cat 5 or 6), turn on the radio and wait for the green light. Start the downloaded SmartSDR and it should find the radio. If not, come back here with the details. If we can’t get it going, there may need to be a help desk ticket. If a later version is desired, there is an upgrade fee for major upgrade, e.g. version two to version three.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.