Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AM sidebands bigger than carrier

Have a new 6400 and am running Smart SDR for Mac OS. Still learning how to operate the Flex but on AM the sidebands appear to have as much or more gain than my carrier. This is especially evident on 160 there I also have a scratchy noise while transmitting. Any suggestions? I have been reading the manual(s) but can't figure out what need to be changed. The microphone is an Inrad 629.

Thanks
Sprocket

Best Answers

• Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Bret thanks for the reply. You're right it turns out the mic is defective. I'm sending it back for a refund and buying something else.

Steve
    K1MV
  • Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    KD0RC I'll give that a try thanks for the tip

Steve
    K1MV

Answers

• Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    Got this issuer fixed!!! It appears the Inrad 629 mic is defective, the connector that connects into the base arcs when touched causing lots of noise and making the mic unusable. I tried the handheld mic and no more interference. Now to go shopping for a new mic and return the Inrad to Flex.

Still learning where to set levels when transmitting. If anyone has suggestions let me know I get an echo when I transmit and that's the next thing to chase down.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

It sounds like you have the Mon turned on. Turn that off and the echo should go away.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

sounds more like the MIC element is grounded to the shell of the microphone and your picking hum from your body (ground loop), you may be able to tear the mic apart and isolate the mic element from the shell of the microphone body most MIC elements have a + and a - connection for a balanced MIC should be isolated from the radio chassis ground.

• Sprocket
    Sprocket Member ✭✭
    connector on the Inrad 629 was dirty, quick shot of Deoxit solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

73 Steve
    K1MV