Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

external HDMI touchscreen controls the 6600M??

Options
Can the 6600M be controlled from an external touchscreen HDMI monitor?? I know the 'touch' needs the USb cable.
de Dave in Grass Valley, CA
WA6PBJ
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

If “on the screen” means the 8-inch screen on the front of the radio, you do it by touch. If it means the monitor screen driven by a computer running SmartSDR, you do it by mouse. If it means the monitor screen connected to the radio by HDMI, you control it by touching the 8-inch screen on the front of the radio.

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The external monitor will need a driver and USB interface , and usually a calibration procedure to set the edges of the touch screen. There is not a way for this to be done on the internal tablet in the M model console . You can use a touch screen with SmartSDR running on a computer, which works well on a large screen.

Dudley

WA5QPZ

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, the HDMI only does video.

• orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    hm...wonder how the maetro touchscreen works. must be proprietary coding perhaps as a subcarrier on the hdmi video
  • w0pd
    w0pd Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My understanding is that the front display is an actual tablet. As opposed to a monitor only.
  • orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes. My 'bad', The aetro is a 'table' per say. All touch is done within the maetro. DAH! But the 6600M DOES respond to a mouse...I THINK?? If this is so, then it seems USB data from a touchscreen monitor could be decoded within the 6600M. The HDMI is only VIDEO TO the monitor as I understand. If I am correct (mouse and USB OR suitable WiFi linkage with mouse) then indeed s'w could be written to enable remote touchscreen. Even so: It says NO....we can't PRESENTLY do touchscreen on a remote monitor.
  • orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    Say!!! I just say a uTube video where the fellow explains the various controllers that can be used with smartSDR for such as digital (where there is evidently a need for rapid convenient control). HE IS ACTUALLY USING HIS TOUCHSCREEN WITH smartSDR. So.....maybe my original question is MUTE. I feel kinda ****!! My 6600M is due in a couple of weeks. Sorry for posting very prematurely!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diT2Ww9Yq7c&ab_channel=hamradioscience
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

But the touchscreen monitor works well with SmartSDR - At least it did on V1. Haven't tried for that long.

• orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    THank u for that input. It seems no one really does a touchscreen though. They likely do the touch on their rado's screen directly in front. Makes sense! In my case the radio is set a bit further than may be a large touchscreen (my relative handicapped situ). WIll see what happens when I get the rig on site.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"But the 6600M DOES respond to a mouse...I THINK??"

Sorry, no. The 6600M/6400M do not have mouse control capability. Only the computer-based SSDR GUIs do that. On the other hand, the Elecraft P3 with VGA card DOES have Mouse / Keyboard capability :-) It's just not a very good panadapter :-(

• orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    >>No mouse?? Well if I have a 6600, how do I select buttons on the screen if not by a mouse?? I don't think I understand this yet. My 6600M is due
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The M series and Maestros have touch screens. Check out this manual while you wait for your 6600M. I think it will answer a lot of your questions about the screen. I don't have a Maestro or an M version, but I did get a chance to play with my buddy's Maestro and I found it to be pretty intuitive.

Maestro User Guide v3.x – FlexRadio

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. The 8-inch screen on the front of the radio is controlled by touch. 2. A monitor connected by HDMI is controlled by touching the 8-inch screen on the front of the radio. 3. A monitor driven by a computer running SmartSDR is controlled by mouse.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The external monitor will need a driver and USB interface , and usually a calibration procedure to set the edges of the touch screen. There is not a way for this to be done on the internal tablet in the M model console . You can use a touch screen with SmartSDR running on a computer, which works well on a large screen.

Dudley

WA5QPZ

• orgoblo
    orgoblo Member ✭✭
    Options
    I see. Well thank you very much.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.