Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 with a VHF transverter full band coverage

Demetri SVØDR
Demetri SVØDR Member ✭✭
edited February 2021 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
A VHF transverter will work using the 28 MHz band to go to 144.
So 29 MHz gives out 145 MHZ and 30 MHz gives out 146.
How can the 146 to 148 portion of the band be used?
Flexradio does not transmit above 30MHz.

Best Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you use the transverter outputs, you can transmit where you need. If you use the antenna outputs, it is restricted to Ham bands.

• Thurman Williams  Jr
    Thurman Williams Jr Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Q5 .Vhf Transverter with the flex 6400 M covers the whole band 144.Mhz to 148.Mhz. Jr .. KO4OO

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓

When using the transverter port, the radio is programmed not to limit the bandwidth on 10 meters. Thus it allows the transverter to operate to its designed BW limits. On the ANT1 and ANT2 ports the BW is limited to the normal band prescribed by the FCC.

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Hello Demetri, The traditional use of VHF and UHF transverters has been for use in the weak signal portion of the band the transverter is built and tuned for. Ten meters was utilized as an IF as most HF radios have good sensitivity, selectivity and all round decent performance features in the HF bands. Then coupled with a superior performance transverter with sequenced mast mounted preamps and all of the super high performance rig-a-marrow gets you a system that will hear the weakest of weak signals in terrestrial or EME uses. These systems traditionally have the antennas, preamps, and transverter front ends tweaked for narrow performance frequency ranges hopefully with the ability to curtail intermod and out of band signals being translated into the your TEN meter radios' passband...

Another problem either way is you would run into is the transmit end of band at 29.700 unless they have EXTENDED TRANSMIT programming. That usually is NOT a problem in traditional use region of the weak signal portion of the band. One might run into issues doing satellites as the repeater and sat regions may overlap in the 145 region.

I noted Ted's comment about the Flex continuing tuning with the Xverter input...

IF you MUST use a transverter in the regions above where the 29.700 will transmit, you have three choices.

The first and traditionally recommended by weak signal enthusiasts is to buy a 2 meter FM radio if you're looking to operate FM repeaters.... OR if you are looking for weak signal and fm ability get an ALL MODE that retunes the radio in the other band segments with a tracking or band selected front end...

OR either Modify your transverter with a selectable IF Local Oscillator Crystal that will translate 148 ish signals down to within the transmittable regions of your HF radio. And you also may desire a lower type performance transverter that can handle the wide open bandpass... Be prepared for a local full scale repeater desensing your weak signal work...That sort of degradation is VERY fustrating.

Many high end transverters Already have a local oscillator selector for a second band segment. I know of none them that retune for the second band segment. If you're honestly looking for superior band coverage, I would recommend building yourself a finely tuned very high performance transverter with tracking or selectable front ends. Either way mast preamps and high performance antennas are going to be way out of their performance window.

IF all you desire is a repeater radio, see above^^^ or RETUNE the transverter system for its highest performance in the window of band you desire best performance. If you are using reasonably prices transverters, BUY a second one tuned for your second segment. I'd also utilize completely different antennas for the other utilization.

You didn't state your intended purpose, so I tried to cover the colloquial uses...

Sincerely,

Erika KØDD

• J.C. W4QK
    J.C. W4QK Member ✭✭
    I am using the UR3LMZ dual band transverter with my Flex 6400M and I am able to transmit on 144-148 MHz. There is a push button on the unit that changes the LO frequency by 2 MHz to provide a wider frequency range.
  • > @"Ted VE3TRQ" said:
    > If you use the transverter outputs, you can transmit where you need. If you use the antenna outputs, it is restricted to Ham bands.

Thank you! Confirmed from the guys at Q5 Signal. It is also very clear in the 6600 manual: • Transverter (XVTR) IF Output Port
    100 KHz - 54 MHz
    Thanks Ted, 73
  • Q5 .Vhf Transverter with the flex 6400 M covers the whole band 144.Mhz to 148.Mhz. Jr .. KO4OO

• thanks for all the help guys! I have ordered the Q5 VHF transverter and waiting for it. 73!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.