Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Loupedeck Controller Support?

Hi. I was wondering whether it's possible to integrate a non-supported controller such as the beautiful Loupedeck, with pure midi-commands.

Comments

• k8rwb
    k8rwb Member
    That would be amazing. It's one of the nicest potential third party controllers out there.
  • Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

I have been checking out the Loupedeck CT. Having downloaded the application software, it would appear that it will send midi commands for both push-button and rotary controls. The large knob in the centre would be for tuning, principally. Other knobs on each side could be used for AGC , ANC, Volume, NB, ANF, Power, and loads more. I use SSDR for Mac, and Marcus has already given the chance to set up any MIDI device to command the software without any "fiddle-fiddling", under TOOLS. It really just depends how deep your pockets are as to which device you choose.

The advantage of Loupedeck Live is that there is no silk-screening on the face, so it would look really clean.

Disadvantage as I see it is that you do not seem to be able to write over a png background picture in the same way as you can with the StreamDeck. Also you have got to like touch screens as the Loupe decks are touch, as opposed to the StreamDeck, which is positive switch-contact. Also the Loupedeck software is somewhat clunky. Download the software app (it is free) and have a practice, and you will see what I mean.

I have yet to obtain either of the devices, as I am weighing up my finances currently!

73 de Mike G4GWH

• Luca Ncj
    Luca Ncj Member ✭✭
    Hallo Mike
    I am testing a loupedeck live deck but I can't get it to work with SmartSDR
    I am using command line available from FRstack http://localhost:13522/api/Radio/{cmd}?param={val}
    but when I press the deck button it just opens a browser page.
    Could you please post an example on how you have been settings commands into the deck?
    I am using WIN 10 just for your info.

Thanks
    Luca IK2NCJ
  • Mike Steventon

Hello Luca.

I have been able to get Loupedeck to command instruct on Windows 10, but only with using touch control or push-buttons. I cannot find a way to get rotary controls to work on Windows 10. I need to point out that I am 99.99% only interested in Apple Mac "eco-sphere" which uses both Midi control signals and also Keyboard short-cuts to control SSDR for Mac. I tested again last night on Windows 10 and have reminded myself that I was was not comfortable with using Loupedeck with FRsstack3, because, as it is using keyboard short-cuts only, I abandoned using the Loupedeck as I found that I could easily accidentally press a keyboard key and get a result where none was intended!!! In other words, if I want to use SSDR for Windows (very unlikely in my case) I would just stick to using keyboard short-cut commands to effect control. I note that Frstack3 has a vast number of commands available, and I also note that many other users seem to use StreamDeck and Windows very successfully. (No rotary controls). There is probably a way round all my issues but honestly, I am quite comfortable with SSDR for Mac and Loupedeck CT as I can easily dictate and remain in command of my 6600M functions!

So, in answer, you will have to wade through the Loupedeck hierarchy yourself as I found it too complicated to be able to write down instructions. The only real way would be to be sat next to you and show you what I have been up to!! Best of luck with it .

Maybe someone else on the forum has had better luck than me, but I am sort of stuck in an "Old Man" rut, being "the devil you know as opposed to the devil you don't", and will sit with my iMac Pro, Midi, and 6600M forever!

73 de Mike. G4GWH

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Does the Loupback support websocket commands?

If so, you can run a Node Red server on the MAC and use websocket commands to Node Red, then Node Red can communicate to the radio via native API.

Dave wo2x

• Mike Steventon

Not sure. Dave. There is a wealth of information on the Loupedeck website, and quite a few tutorials (none of which have anything to do with Amateur Radio). I readily admit that as long as I have it working to my satisfaction in my radio shack, then I am a Happy Bunny!

With both devices (Stream deck and Loupedeck) I am sure that the sky is the limit as to what one can do with them, it is just a matter of getting to grips with the "modes" they work on. Interestingly, I note on another discussion that there is a Streamdeck come out with rotary controls, so it will be interesting to see who can get them to work with e.g. AGC gain, frequency rotary control, or more simply, volume control, or any other variable that Frstack3 or Node Red can offer. I suspect that you are the resident expert as you have some really great discussion posts on the general subject of peripheral controls. Always an interesting read!!

73's Mike.

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Mike,

Have you tried the Loupedeck with iOS devices such as an iPad or iPhone with SSDR? I see you have had success using it with Mac. I am an apple user exclusively. I use an iPad for remote operating and am curious if the loupedeck could work with it as well?

• Mike Steventon

A good question! No, I have not tried it on iOS devices as it never occurred to me. Also, I do not work remote station, so do not find the need to hook up iPad etc. I suspect it will work just fine as I have just researched the question and note that in the FlexRadio SmartSDR for iOS manual by Marcus, there is a section called "TOOLS". Section 1.5 covers MIDI Controller, and reading between the lines I am quite sure it will work fine. You have to buy an Apple approved connector e.g. Lightning USB 3.1 Camera Connection kit, and also feed the adaptor with a lightning power source, as the LoupeDeck requires power.

Here is a link to the section on Tools.

smartsdr-ios-tools

I never purchased the app for iOS, so I cannot confirm the availability for midi control list as found on SSDR for Mac.

It is worth a go anyway, so best of luck!!

Cheers.

Mike G4GWH

• Luca Ncj
    Luca Ncj Member ✭✭

Mike

thanks for the answer.

This deck is perfect to control SSDR because has so many knobs that are perfect for VFO AGC Filters.

Best 73's

Luca IK2NCJ

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

There was one person on the Node Red group that was using a LoupDeck for his station. I’d have to go back through the posts to see how he was using it.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.