Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius integration with Power Genius

AC9S
AC9S Member ✭✭

Will the Tuner Genius interrupt the key line (or the logical equivalent) to the Power Genius when undergoing a tune cycle? This is with a Flex transceiver driving. Does it avoid high power keying of the amp when tuning?

Thanks -- Keith - AC9S

Answers

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭

Another question concerning integration.

Will the Tuner Genius track the frequency of the Flex 6XXX and be pre-tuned prior to transmission. This assumes one has pre-tuned and saved the settings by frequency segment.

Rich - N5ZC

• Mack W4AX
    Mack W4AX Company Adviser ✭✭✭

@Rich - N5ZC Yes that is exactly the way it works. Completely seamless even when operating SO2R.

Mack

W4AX

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭

Thanks Guys - What you describe is the way my KPA600/KAT500 combo works. Let my give you my use case which is a little different. The other night I was chatting with a buddy on 160 during a light rain which turned into a small icing event. I was on the 6700, PGXL, Palstar HF-Auto. My SWR was 1:1 at the beginning of the QSO, but after a while it crept, unnoticed, upward to the point that the HF-Auto retuned during a transmission. It wasn't much of an excursion and didn't hurt anything, but it could have.

Both the Palstar and Elecraft will sometimes hunt for better solutions during a transmission. That can be avoided by putting the tuners in manual mode, but that is impractical during S&P in a contest.

Conceptually this isn't much different than interrupting the amplifier key line or inhibiting the transmitter when my STeppIR tunes. It would really be good to have the tuner inhibit the amp during tuning.

Thanks - Keith - AC9S

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Keith, I have a Flex 6400, KPA500 and KAT500. I leave my KAT500 in manual mode for normal operating. To load the memories, I initially put it in Auto mode, then run up each band every few KHz (the manual will tell you how many KHz on each band) and hit the tune button. Once this is done for an antenna, I switch back to Manual mode. I also use DDUtil which feeds my operating frequency to the tuner. You could also plug the tuner directly into the Flex USB port. As I tune up and down the bands, I can hear the KAT500's relays clicking as I pass the tuning boundaries.

My low band antenna is fed with 450 ohm window line, so when it rains, I will sometimes see the SWR go up a bit. I can leave the tuner in Manual mode, and just tap the tune button to re-tune as needed.

Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.