Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Laptop Remote, Integrated Logging and digital modes, cross platform?

AA1UI
AA1UI Member ✭✭
edited January 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows

I've been a Flex user for several generations, but I haven't kept up with developments because I don't get a lot of time to play radio. (I have found time to update to the latest SDR software for my 6400, but that's about it). I've also been distracted by playing with EME on 2 meters of late too, but I digress.

I know everyone probably knows this but me, but I'm not sure how people use SmartSDR remotely, say on a laptop and maintain/access to all the "other" apps one uses. Take logging for instance: I've used minideluxe with HDR for years to log contacts on the PC from my Flex Radios, but when working remotely, I've relied on Teamviewer to log into my shack PC which allowed me to access Smart SDR and all the applications I want, such as HRD's Logger, DM780, WSJT-X, etc. Teamviewer, while not perfect, gave me the ability to do this on Mac or PC too.

So, now that much time has passed, how do people use SmartSDR remotely and maintain access to logging and digital programs? I assume I'll have to finally move off HRD to achieve this, and that's ok, I'm not wedded to it in any way. I see all these new (to me) programs out there like FRLogger, SliceMaster, etc. but thought I would ask the group before I dive in. It's worth noting that my primary shack computer is a self-built, fairly beefy PC, but my goto laptop is a MacBook Pro. This somewhat complicates the above to my mind especially with a goal of maintaining a unified cross-platform logging workflow.

Thanks for any and all advice on getting current with all my 6400 can do nowadays,

Doug AA1UI

Best Answer

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Dave and others, Regarding Macs and Smart SDR

I too prefer to use my MacBook Pro. Over the last two years, I have used Parallels Desktop to create a virtual Windows machine. I would then run Mac versions of Logbook (MLDX), WSJT-X with xCAT, and xDAX using the app "Loopback" for audio connections. At first, this was a good working combination.

I tried the Mac-based Smart SDR apps but always returned to the Windows-based Smart SDR for its more full feature set.

Then, I wanted more, N1MM, large Web Browsers, etc......and my Mac began to struggle. This would show up as more audio latency and sometimes pauses. It would take up to a minute for Windows to start the Flex CAT application.

Also, it looks like future Macs will not support running virtual windows machines.....time will tell if Parallels can write a new, compatible version.

So....I just recently changed direction.

I continue to use my MacBook and MacPro, but, I have stopped using a virtual Windows, Parallels Desktop. Rather, I bought an Intel NUC i7 Windows Professional machine and enabled Windows Remote Desktop.

On the Apple App Store, I found a Mac version of Windows Remote Desktop Client and it works great with my NUC.

I am again, running Windows side by side with my Mac Apps on my Mac Computer. Windows Apps are now very responsive and so far very stable. Wish I had done this sooner.

Alan

WA9WUD

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Just install SmartSDR with CAT and DAX on remote PC. Use SmartLink to connect SSDR, CAT and DAX to the remote radio. Install your third party programs on remote PC.

Note - if using an underpowered older laptop you might experience long DPCs which can cause DAX issues on digital modes. I would suggest try it and see how everything works. Don’t forget a good time sync program to keep WSJT-X happy.

Dave wo2x

• AA1UI
    AA1UI Member ✭✭

Thanks David,

Only issue is, my remote computer is going to almost always be my MacBook Pro.

Thinking about this more, I need a cross platform logging application it seems so I can update one master logbook file from both my local PC and remote Mac laptop.

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I think there is a difference in terminology here.

Doug's "local" PC is at the Flex radio.

Dave's "remote" PC is at the Flex radio.

What seems to work best is to utilize your PC at the Flex location for SmartSDR locally on your LAN, with Logging and WSJT-X on that PC.

Use your MacBook Pro with TeamViewer or AnyDesk to opeate your station. There is a Mac iOS version of SmartSDR, but I am not familiar with it. Probably would be a good backup to have.

HRD is fine to continue with. As noted, there are many other logging choices. I use DX Labs.

Bill NE1B

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

you can use DL8MRE’s SmartSDR for MAC which includes MAC versions of DAX and CAT with a logbook program designed for MAC such as MAN Logger DX and MAC version of WSJT-X. You could then export your new contacts as an ADIF occasionally and import them to HRD.

Alan WA9WUD is a MAC user and can probably give you more tips.

Another option might be to try running SmartSDR for Windows and logging & digital programs in Parallels. Not sure how the Win versions of DAX and CAT would behave. Maybe other MAC users can chime in.

I would rather run the client software and other programs locally instead of VPN into the Windows PC at radio end. Less bandwidth and you can leverage SmartLink.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.