Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl Intermittent


Greetings to the Group,

During the CQWW_CW contest I was trying to use my FlexControl with SmartSDR and my Flex6700 in a competition. I noticed early on that my FlexControl was acting intermittently. Using it as a RIT, it would work for a short period and stop. Sometimes if it was not used for some time it would act if it was asleep. I found that pressing the center knob would wake it up about 80% of the time. The remaining 20% of the time I had to wait 10-15 seconds before it would wake up.

Another observation is that if I had the Flex Control settings via the SSDR window open, the window would sometime flicker between color and grayed out. My guess there is that for some reason it is loosing the USB link or ?? I have not confirmed correlation of the flickering with the intermittency.

My FlexControl is an early unit, one of the first available post beta testing. Any thoughts or suggestions on what is going on here? Thanks

73 Mike K9MK


  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

    Try plugging it into a different USB port. There might be an intermittant cable or rf getting into the line. Try ferrites. Mine just steps a step off frequency every once in a while. It has been ignored and I didn't bump it. Going ****-nap is computer determining garbage data coming in I suspect. Good luck. Might try a different one if all else fails can't be without the knob.

    Erika DD

  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

    I wonder if there might be a setting somewhere that MS Windows (? - I'm assuming that's the PC's O/S) puts the USB port 'to sleep' if it hasn't been used in a set amount of time (power saver feature). I seem to remember reading about that somewhere on another bulletin board. Especially true of laptops.

  • Mike Krzystyniak

    Update: No change here.

    • I tried moving the control to another USB before and it made no difference. But maybe I goobered that up so I will do that one again.
    • As this is a RX issue, ferrites probably will not make a difference.
    • If I can find another FlexControl locally I will certainly give that a try.
    • On the power management side, I did go in and turn off power management for all the COM and USB ports. But I will double check this too.

    Thanks and 73's Mike K9MK

  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭

    I have similar problem...every now and then....it just doesn't work,,,,I will turn the knob and nothing happens,,,all power management is off.....different port..no difference...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.