Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does the PGXL Keep Going to Standby?

During the CQWW SSB contest the PGXL kept going to Standby mode without warning. I'd work a station, tune up the band slightly, and try to work another station only to have them not hear me. I'd look down and the amp was back in Standby mode. Id didn't happen every time I tuned but often enough that I had to develop the habit of constantly checking the amplifier status. Once I clicked the Standby button it would go to operate and work fine. Is this an amplifier or SmartSDR question and how do I fix this issue?

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Maybe elaberate more on "tune up slightly" manual tuner, auto tuner, is SWR possibly exceeding the 3:1 limit the PGXL will run with. Personally I always put my PGXL in standby before tuning my Palstar HF-Auto.

After reading the manual, high SWR will show an alarm and stop transmitting.

The only other thing I can think of is if you use FRSTACK and have it set to put amp in standby during tune.

• JimStuder
    JimStuder Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Tuning up slightly was wherever the next station calling CQ was located. Sometimes a small amount (~4 kHz) and sometimes more. Some of the contacts were through the Palstar Auto-HF but others were through the SteppIR. The problem appeared to be on both antennas. I did put the PGXL in Standby when I tuned the Palstar. I'm going to work the ARRL Sweepstakes in two weeks and I'll pay particular attention to the SWR readings to see if it's what you suggest relating to 3:1 exceedances, which I've gotten pretty good at avoiding them now but maybe that was happening when I first started using the PGXL. I've tweaked the SteppIR to be a better match on all of the bands and I plan to reposition the 80 meter wire to get a flatter SWR across the band. Mike mentioned SWRPlotter6K in his latest video and it looks pretty good so I'll run it after I get everything repositioned. I've also added a lightning arrestor connected to ground at the base of the tower to ground the coax shield in case some RF was getting by my lightning arrestor in the arrestor box just outside the wall where the shack is. I'll give you an update after the contest. Thanks again. Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.