Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two Antennas for receive and transmit on 6400?

I have two antennas (20-meter dipole and Cushcraft R7) and would like to operate them for both transmit and receive on my 6400 with the Maestro.

When I use an antenna switch and change from one antenna to the other on ANT1, the Flex has difficulty tuning the second antenna, though both antennas are quite resonant on the frequency. I wonder if this is the purpose of having a second antenna input/output on the Flex? I have read the manual and haven't found anything specific about this situation.

Using the antenna switch to select one antenna or the other when connected to my FT-990 poses no tuning or operating problems. Why is there a difference with the Flex 6400?

Tagged:

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭

I'm guessing that you don't mean you want to run them simultaneously, right?

If the antennas are close enough to resonance, then don't use the built-in tuner. Switching back and forth between the two is pretty easy from SmartSDR.

As for "why there is a difference" - probably because the Flex internal tuner is just sensitive enough to the change in reactances that it senses the need to retune. You can have the same SWR but very different reactance values. That's be my guess.

73!

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mike, one other possibility is that there is a little reactance in the external switch or cabling that the Flex tuner reacts to. If you have an antenna analyzer, check the antenna with and without the external switch. You may find a bad or marginal switch or piece of coax. Since the Flex 6400 has two antenna ports, you could eliminate the external switch all together, and as George suggested, use SmartSDR to do the switching. You will need to continue using the external switch if you are using an amplifier, or external noise canceller.

Len, KD0RC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.