Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Mac and sending frequency information to HF-Auto Tuner

I cannot seem to find a Palstar AT-Auto tuner. As an alternative I have read about controlling the Palstar HF-Auto tuner using frequency data from the Flex 6000 series instead of RF sensing by using the W1TR HFAUTO software and a helper app such as DDUtil. I am using Parallels but am trying to get away from Windows altogether. W1TR told me he has no intention of porting the HFAUTO software to the Mac. I am not sure I can send Flex 6000 frequency data to HFAUTO and DDUtil running on Parallels while running SmartSDR Mac on the Mac side. I am wondering if anyone else has thought about this.
Ken, N7KD

Comments

• Kevin WM4J
    Kevin WM4J Member ✭✭

Hey Ken, I'm using an HF-Auto with "SmartSDR for Mac" and the auto sensing works perfect for me without any helper software. I just click the "Tune" button on the "Radio Controls" panel and the HF-Auto detects the transmit frequency and tunes until the SWR is within the thresholds I set via the front panel of the HF-Auto.

I might be missing the use case for sending the frequency data to the HF-Auto via an external software source but if you are looking for it to just "tune", you can do so without the W1TR software or any other helper software using "SmartSDR for Mac".

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Ken

I use the W1TR app for sending CAT frequency data to my Palster HF-Auto, on my Mac running Parallels, with all sorts of Flex clients.

As Ken says, using CAT frequency input to HF-Auto is a "secondary" source of frequency for the tuner. CAT is not mandatory, but "nice" to have, since it will follow your TX slice and move the tuner before you TX. On the first TX, the tuner's frequency sense takes over and does the final movement of the servos if necessary. The W1TR app also has controls to access all of the HF-Auto functions. It can also "replicate" the tuner control, if you desire.

HF-Auto will memorize the settings for each frequency segment, so as it learns, the time to tune is reduced.

Now, back to your question on getting the Flex frequency to the W1TR app:

I am not familiar with DDutl but it probably works like FRStack, which I have, to use a TCP connection to the Flex Server. Doing so, it does not rely on what type of client device or software you are running. In my case, I run all forms of SDR; Mac, IOS, Windows, and Maestro and FRStack runs in the background sending frequency CAT data to HF-Auto.

I use a DB9 serial to TCP convertor to allow remote control between the W1TR app and the HF-Auto, in my remote garage.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

• Thanks guys for the input. The reason I want to control the HF-Auto with frequency data instead of RF frequency sensing is that I am usually using an amplifier and want to avoid the possibility of operator brain damage when changing bands and then transmitting with the amp activated prior to tuning with low power and thus **** up the untuned tuner with too high an RF level. If I can control the HF-Auto with frequency data instead of RF frequency sensing I can avoid this self-inflicted wound.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭

Can’t you use a “USB Cable” defined in SSDR, plugged into the back of the Flex, and connected to the amp? The client software shouldn’t need to be involved in the server(radio) to amp client connection.