Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can one Transmit Voice on Laptop when DAX Enabled?

Jeremy_W2JG
Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
edited September 2020 in DAX
I am interested in running my 6700 with the latest SmartSDR software on a laptop using a headset and mic plugged into the laptop and using a remote PTT via CAT PTT Com Port. All that works fine as is, but when I want to run digital, such as Winlink, on Slice A and voice on Slice B, once I enable DAX for the digital, I can no longer run voice on Slice B. Is there a way to use voice once DAX is enabled? I mention using the laptop in case the rules are different with a hardwired microphone either from the front or rear panel. Can I run voice once the DAX is enabled, if so how, or do I need to disable DAX each time I run voice?

I am not trying to run voice and digital simultaneously, I just don’t want to keep clicking DAX on and off between digital transmissions, for voice to work.

Thank you for your help!

Jeremy
W2JG

Best Answer

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

John,

I have been reviewing FRStack for the last five hours and have not been able to find any memory that controls DAX under the P/CW menu. Can you please tell me how to control the DAX under P/CW within FRStack?

Thanks!

Jeremy

W2JG

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

There is a DAX override when using voice modes, that only when using the same slice. If using different slices, you will have to manually set the audio output configuration.

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

Thanks Tim, but how do I do that?

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

Tim,

I really should have said, unfortunately I did not understand your comment, what did you mean by that? Could you word that differently? Are you saying on the top level screen there is another DAX button,? I only see the one DAX button under the P/CW sub-window. Are you saying that one has to click on the DAX button to disable it to use voice on any of the slices or is there a different DAX button one can use?

Is it the case that if one uses the front panel PTT in the Mic connector or the rear panel PTT, the DAX is over-ridden?

Thanks Tim!

Jeremy

W2JG

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

All,

I have worked with Tim W4TME from Flexradio off-line and he has answered my question, the following is what was discussed:

I first need to apologize to the group for using terminology that was confusing. My term "Remote PTT" stands for a CAT defined PTT that is generated by a push-button which connects the RTS to the CTS pin on a USB to R232 COM port. I use this to generate a PTT while on my laptop away from the radio. This concept was discussed by another user in different discussion.

As outlined in the SmartSDR user guide, a PTT generated from the front panel microphone plug, AUX connector, or rear panel PTT RCA connector will OVERRIDE the Transmit DAX command that is enabled on the P/CW sub-window of the SmartSDR software, allowing voice to be transmitted. Unfortunately that is NOT the case for a Remote PTT generated by a CAT command. If one is using a Remote PTT, the only way for voice to be transmitted is to take the radio out of digital transmit mode by disabling Transmit DAX. This was confirmed by Tim in an offline discussion.

Hopefully this clears up the issue for others. If there are any questions, I would be happy to respond. Tim has answered my question and I consider the matter closed.

• Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭

I've been struggling on our Buckeye Net mixed mode sessions where the net is administered on SSB and traffic all sent on digi using fldigi macros.

I get sent down the band for traffic, and even with macros to switch the rig to USB and other things, still had buttons and things to deal with manually, all while the other guy is sitting there wondering if I'll ever show up. Then reverse it to get back to net. This is on the LAN from man-cave. I'll give this a try from the shack and FHM.

I note that the Balanced mic connector is not in this list:

PTT generated from the front panel microphone plug, AUX connector, or rear panel PTT RCA connector will OVERRIDE the Transmit DAX command

Good question and answer. Thanks.

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

Lee,

it is not the microphone that over-rides the Transmit DAX, it is a hardware PTT input that will over-ride the digital mode. If you are using one of the Physical PTT on the radio in conjunction with the balanced microphone, then it should over-ride the Transmit DAX. Note, it will only over-ride if the digital mode is idle

I hope this helps and you are successful. Btw, I appreciate what you mean when you say you have a lot of things going on and someone is waiting for you.

if you have any questions, I will try to help! Good Luck!

Jeremy

W2JG

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

This get's me about once a week after running Digital mod's usually at night and then the next day for a HF SSB net I'm always forgetting to switch DAX off and have to wait 45 minutes to check in late.

Should say I run my station remote 100% of the time

To Bad Flex doesn't have a option to tie DAX to DIGU and DIGL and let the remote MIC / PTT work correctly while running remote without having to always switch DAX off and ON, this is PROBABLY the biggest issue that I have, Maybe FRStack can add this feature.

73's

Bret

WX7Y

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure I can duplicate all the nuances of your situation, but I played with the memories in Frstack. Each memory controls DAX and CAT uniquely. I have a memory for SSB 40m and FT8. Clicking on the SSB memory disables DAX. Clicking on FT8 memory enables DAX.

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

Thank you John!

I have heard of FRStack, but have never used it before. I will have to look into it. Thank you VERY MUCH!

Jeremy

W2JG

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

So had time to play with the radio and FRStack. I also have been snagged by this after operating FT8 at night then SSB during a daytime net. It seems that FRStack only saves the data associated with the Flag (Freq, etc). I set up a MIC profile for DIGI with DAX enabled and PROC off, and a MIC profile for SSB with PROC enabled and DAX off. Selecting the appropriate FRStack memory and the appropriate MIC profile seems to get the job done. So, two clicks, but so far it's working.

• Jeremy_W2JG
    Jeremy_W2JG Member ✭✭

John and All,

I TOTALLY agree with John KB4DU. I had tried posting an update to the thread a couple weeks back, but I was locked out at the time. Thank you John for your Post! Please note, another feature in FRStack are HOTKEYS, so you can just set up a Keyboard key to toggle Tx DAX on and off.

Jeremy

W2JG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.