Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I have problem (FT8)

Hi all
Can anyone help with my problem? I have just acquired a FT450D tcvr and am trying to use FT8 on it. I have bought a DC11F interface cable which connects into the data socket on the back of the rig going to the audio in and out sockets on the laptop. I have downloaded the software, and installed a package as instructed for Linux, followed the installation guides from the WSJT website, and others but cannot get a green test CAT. Keep getting "Rig Failure Hamlib error:IO error while opening connection to rig"
I am not very computer or digital literate, I still like valves! So can any of you young computer and digital modes experts help before I throw this computer out the window and vow never to have anything to do with computers or digital radio again!!
Hopefully hanging on

Comments

• Larry
    Larry Member ✭✭

On the FT-450, use the CAT connection for CAT control to/from the PC, and use the Data socket for audio in/out.

It takes at least 2 cables to have CAT and FT-8 working at the same time.

If I remember correctly the CAT cable will go from the CAT connection on the back of the radio to a USB port on the PC. I used the RT Systems CAT cable and it works well. eBay CAT cables are hit or miss.

I used the audio in/out from the Data socket to the PC's sound card. I used an external (USB) sound card so I could still have the PC sounds on the PC speaker and FT-8 audio handled by the external sound card.

If you don't want to mess with PC sound cards, you may want to look at a signal link box, I hear them make the audio connection easier, but they cost more.

Good Luck,

Larry

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.