Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Power Pole Cables

Options
henrylance
henrylance Member ✭✭
Before we lose the site for a while, does anyone know of someone who has the proper crimper and tools to make up new DC power cables using Power Poles  ??

After the recent discussions about power cables using power poles I thought I should replace mine with new connectors and a bit large ga. cable.  As one person pointed out, most people do not make the cables to the power pole specs.  I don't think I would ever make up enough to warrant buying all the stuff.  Actually it could be a nice side biz for someone.

Thanks,  be safe everyone K4WH  Email k4wh@arrl.net

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I bought the official tools years ago.... A really good investment as I have never had an issue with power poles and ALL my DC connections in my shack and vehicles are PowerPoles
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Howard is right. The tools are a good investment.  I use them for more than just Powerpoles.  Despite having the tools, Powerwerx makes custom cables. I might go to them for the heavier cables.  I don't seem to have much luck doing the 10 and 12 gauge wire.  I suppose I just need more practice. 
    Bob, WK2Y 
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

I purchased a ratcheting tool  which has interchangeable dies from N5IAW on E-Bay.  I originally got it to crimp coax connectors, he also sells dies that crimp power pole connectors as well as a set  that crimp the red, yellow and blue terminal lug ends .   I have had good luck with this tool, about $36 for the tool with one set of dies, $18 and change for each set of additional dies.  The power pole die slots  are marked for 15, 30 and 45 amp terminals.

Gayle K0FLY

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    i soldered mine rather than crimp....

Paul K3SF
  • henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Howard, I know you like to pontificate about the virtues of power poles.  Other than my 6500 I will not be using them, unless I for some reason get an Elecraft product.  The last long long round table when on and on about good vs bad aspects of power poles.  On my equipment I like Molex, and I'd even rather a jones connector.  ON the power supply end I use molded polarized male and female.  Pretty hard to mix up.  In the station I always use a terminal ring and nut it down.  I have to laugh.  For all the years I ran boats and charters I never had an electrical connector failure.  Each spring before launch ALL connectors and terminals were removed from where ever they were terminated checked, polished, brushed etc, and then re tightened.  No oxidation, corrosion, or dirt could be tolerated.  Failure is not an option when you are fishing in the white water or suds, off the New England and Northeast coast.  Power Poles would be a joke in the conditions.  And yes we also did Lacing which is now a lost art.

If I have to I have a good crimper and could probably do it, I was just hoping someone who does it on a regular basis might want to make a few bucks.  Not looking for a freebee.  Be well .... k4wh

• henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bob, thanks for the thought.  I just checked and yes they do still have the cables for sale, and the prices are really un-fair.  Just easier to get it done by people who do it for a living.  Then I will feel better that I can get many years of use with no problems.  Since the rig has had 3 other owners, and I have had it for 2 yrs plus now.  The dC cable is showing signs of the wire pulling out.  So its a good time to make up a new cable, and clean up the radio side.        73's     Lance  L  k4wh
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Both FRS and Powerworx have the cables you’d like. I think our local club has a set of tools, so perhaps you can find access nearby you? It is possible to do a serviceable crimp with other tools, but not anywhere as easy and consistently. I’d suggest simply ordering what you need - either a new cable from either source or the parts & tooling to roll your own.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My brother-in-law fishes for a living on the west coast.. I am certain that he would never allow power poles on his boat...albeit I did install them on friend's sailboats with no issues..

That said, you made a very good point. 

All connectors fail if you do not maintain them.  Annual maintenance to remove oxidation is a very good idea.   I just spray everything with De_Oxit every year to keep them trouble free.  Tightening and especially strain relief is also a very good idea
  • coveredup
    coveredup Member ✭✭
    Options

When placing the POWERPOLES on the 10 guage wire for a Flex 6000 does one use the 45 AMP silver contact? Don't know if the Flex 6000's like this larger contact?

I have a 6300 if that makes a difference

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

All the power pole parts are the same except for the socket for the wire, which is larger for the 45 amp connector to accommodate the larger wire.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Also have the multi-purpose crimping tool which was a great investment.

In my Grab&Go much of the internal wiring is now using RC world XT60 and XT90 connectors which are smaller, gold plated, better surface contact and lock together well. All radio connections are still power pole (especially the 6700). My external battery and shack distribution uses 8 gauge wire and the larger/higher current power poles.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The 45Amp contact have quite a bit thicker and more Spring then the 15 and 30 Amp contacts they do fit the same shell.

You want to solider the connectors after you crimp them with the right crimpers and make sure they will fit in the Shell BEFORE soldiering and solider JUST the crimp part of the contact to the wire by have the connector vertical so the wet soldier doesn't flow onto the contact point and use the smallest amount of solider so the contacts will still fit inside the Shell.

This is how I do mine and have never had a problem, if you can find some, with a toothpick put a very very small amount of silver antioxidant grease on the contacts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.