Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR archives (v3.0.27) available?

Options
N0VD
N0VD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi guys - 

I have been working on remoting my station - a Flex 6700 running SmartSDR v3.1.12.  As others have mentioned in the forums, there is a delay in the audio versus what is displayed on the waterfall.  I previously had 3.1.8 installed which also exhibited the issue.

Others have commented this was not a problem in 3.0.27, but it appears Flex is either no longer offering that version (or any 3.x version) for download or has it hidden somewhere that I have not been able to find.

Does anyone know if this is still available to downlaod and if not, would someone happen to have the installer they could share?  I would like to see if the audio delay issue goes away in 3.0.27 in order to make remote usage possible.

Kelly - N0VD

Answers

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Earlier releases of v3 were pulled from the downloads area, after it was discovered these versions were susceptible to SD card data corruption in the 6000 series radios.
  • N0VD
    N0VD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Paul. For me I suppose it's a question of risk SD card corruption or the inability to use the remote functionality via PC speakers. I tried to make a few Qs over the weekend running remote using the PC and was completely unsuccessful.  The audio delay really throws off any rhythm. .

I see in the forums this is a known issue, but given that the last mention was 7(?) months ago, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be high on the priority list.

Kelly - N0VD

• Roger Roth
    Roger Roth Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am using a Flex 6400 remotely with Smart SDR (version 3.1.12) and  Dell Inspiron 3650 (Intel i5 CPU, 12GB RAM, WIndows 10 64-bit). When using PC audio, the latency is unacceptably long. The latency could be is in the Flex hardware/software or in the PC sound drivers.  I am a contester and latency is a big problem!

A solution to the problem is to route the DAX RX streams to your PC speakers instead of using PC audio.  It does take a bit of configuring PC sound settings, PC sound control panel, and SMART SDR to make it work.  It now works almost as well as having a radio in front of me.

FWIW: Network Diagnostics often shows 90 ms to 150 ms RTT Latency times. The network connection is good to excellent most of the time.

Roger K0MPH
  • N0VD
    N0VD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hey Roger - this sounds like a very creative solution.  Would you happen to have a "how-to" for this workaround?  My latency on the commercial internet circuit is ~50ms which I feel is high (my WISP is ~30ms), but more stable.  And yes, the audio delay while trying to get things working over the weekend unfortunately rendered using the PC speakers completely unusable.

Appreciate the pointers.

Kelly - N0VD

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Version 3.0.27 can be downloaded here temporarily: http://k9el.com/Flex/flex.htm
    Use at your own risk
  • N0VD
    N0VD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Got it - thanks John.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    All versions of SmartSDR greater than v2.5.x have critical defects that adversely affect the reliability of your radio and have been removed so that you do not inadvertently run them and make your radio inoperable.  Use it at your own risk.
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ALL greater than v2.5.x????   Even 3.1.12??????

• Roger Roth
    Roger Roth Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Kelly

The instructions for routing received audio via a DAX channel to the PC speakers is posted at: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Attd45589bHzp3-1xgsL0rz0egHV?e=4PcjgO. Two friends used the same instructions to configure their laptops for use with their Flex stations during FD (on their locals LANs).

In my case, the radio is 60 miles away. Even though the latency varies considerably, it generally doesn't interfere with operation (unless it gets long enough to drop packets - which it has). 

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Roger - K0MPH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.