Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AM Transmit/Rcv Audio Quality 6000 Series VS 5000?

Options
WA1KPD
WA1KPD Member
AM Performance 6K series vs 5K
I have owned a 5000 for a number of years. I bought it because I enjoyed the performance of my SDRIQ compared to an analog receiver and loved the beautiful AM transmit audio the 5000 puts out.
I am considering an upgrade to a new 6000 series and wonder if there are any AM users who can speak to the Flex 6K+ software and hardware compared to the 5000 and PowerSdr.
Thanks
Carl WAKPD

Answers

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Every bit as good if not better I use my 6500 and I am all the time never had any complaints
  • Joe Dotson
    Joe Dotson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    i have been told my 6300 sounds great on AM
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm on an AM roundtable every day and the AM sounds great...   very good reports.
    Don't back off on the AM carrier control. Use a good mic, not the little hand mic.
    Minimum compression and tailor the equalizer for your voice.
    A bit of downward compression is also good.    Good Luck!
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Correct. The 6000 series is still the best sounding modern AM transceiver on the market today. You can tailor the transmit audio response from communications quality all the way to 10 kHz frequency response depending on band conditions and neighboring stations. Same thing on receive. All that and you can use it remotely with the same audio quality thanks to the attention paid to the selection of audio codecs. The AM quality is what keeps me buying Flexradio. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

Does anyone know if the AM modulation percentage is 100%?
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I use a 6500 on AM and check into an AM group several times a week.  Most of those guys have Flex 6500 or 6700 along with their top end restored Vintage Collins AM rigs.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have to agree, I have two 6000 series radios and I always get good reports on AM. If you take the time to tweak it, you'll be very satisfied with the result.
  • K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The transceiver modulates the carrier fully. It is a completely digital form of AM modulation. I haven't looked  into this in a while but the 6000 series software code will not allow greater than 100% negative. If you push audio too hard it will increase positive peaks over 100% (an added good feature) but it will not allow you to over modulate on negative peaks. Kind of a software based negative peak limiter. This is different than the 5000 series which can over modulate if not properly set. Of course if you push audio really hard you will sound more like a DSB signal than AM as you'll outpace the carrier.
  • WA1KPD
    WA1KPD Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank you for the info. Never saw any published data on the AM Flex. Much appreciated.

Jim, K6QE
  • WA1KPD
    WA1KPD Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the feedback (no pun intended).
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options

Jim,

I use the SAM receiver mode almost exclusively. It really syncs up with my friends' carriers and helps keep selective fading from making their signals sound poor on a tricky band. You can't beat one of these on AM. I regularly use to 10KHz also but will narrow up if I need to for weak signals or somebody next to us.

I also use balanced input on the 6500... and tweak the mic's curve to I like it and run some processor. I get Zero complaints Even at 25W carrier and 100W PEP

Erika DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.