Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

BlueDV Setup

Options
Jon_KF2E
Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Can someone post a picture of their BlueDV setup page? Mine works with the exception I can't key the PTT. It acts like it is working but it doesn't actually key the talkgroup.

Thanks,
Jon...kf2e

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hope these help
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks Howard!

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am usually listening on 30299
  • Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    One additional tip: you should set a personal password in Brandmeister self-care and then use that password in BlueDV. Instructions at link below. https://news.brandmeister.network/configure-a-security-password-for-your-hotspots/ This would be an especially good idea if you just published your DMR ID and the default password on a community message board.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your concern BUT I am NOT using a Hotspot

I am using an USB Dongle that contains an AMBE encoder chipset
    So I do not need any radio or hotspot to access DMR
    It's in fact a lot cheaper and much less complex to use a USB Dongle

I do have a separate password to access my account at Brandmeister

The only password published is the PUBLIC Master Password for the DMR Server 3103
  • Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You're confusing the radio path vs the data path and the account password vs the personal password.

DMR uses the AMBE hw to vocode voice to data. The Brandmeister network transports that data over the Internet. In a hotspot, the vocoding would happen in a radio, then the data would be modulated and transmitted to the hotspot, then demodulated and data sent over the Internet.

With BlueDV, the ThumbDV dongle does the vocoding, then delivers the data directly to BlueDV for Internet transport. The network transport is the same data path as a hotspot. That's why the instructions I linked show how to configure BlueDV with a personal password and why the Brandmeister admins suggest everyone use a personal password. If you follow the link, you'll see that their BlueDV example has ThumbDV checked.

The security concern is the data flowing over the Internet. Whether was initially transmitted by FM does not matter.

The password to access your Brandmeister account is different than the personal password you set via self-care. The former controls access to the website. The latter is what keeps other people from intentionally or accidentally using your DMR id when connecting to a DMR master.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You are correct... I finally read the article

However - cant get Brandmeister to save the new password

• Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I remember it took a while to propagate from website to the masters, but not specifics. (Then I had the other problem because I had forgotten that I had set it when configuring a new install of BlueDV) The whole thing is a bit of a fluster cluck..they don’t make it clear that the “master” password is just a default and the mechanism to change it is buried. Really should just randomly generate when account is created rather than assume people will find a random news posting. It’s not like hams have a reputation as manual readers.....
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am guilty of Never Reading the Manual.. mainly because its more fun to figure it out on the fly.. of course, I miss the nuances like password needed- in which case I guess I needed to read the manual.

I find that when I fill in the password on Self Care page and set it to save.. the field returns to blank

I suspect given that the Entire DMR space is a glorified Cluster Cluck that it is a programming error on the web site - failing to return that the field was populated

I am totally UNIMPRESSED by DMR.. the audio sucks..due to the AMBE digitization codec not targeting hifi...The Setups - especially for Radios and Hotspots are overly and likely unnecessarily complex...  My only real use is for a couple of DMR Nets with non DXer friend who get excited by taking to DX stations over the Internet and as an open channel 30299 for Flex - (not that busy)

I have been playing DMR for a couple of months since I got the DV Dongle

I already spent a lot of time helping others who have had their radios much longer but are not computer savvy set up their DMR Radios and Hotspots.  It should not be this complicated for Joe Ham to use

So far the best advice I can give anyone about DMR is not to waste your money on a Hotspot or a Radio.. buy an inexpensive DV Dongle, plug it into your computer and run BlueDV.    If you end up enamoured by DMR then buy a radio and/or a Hotspot

But I am betting that most people will not buy the radio after playing with the Dongle as the Dongle does the same or better - much less complex to setup and cheaper.

• Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My DMR HT is on permanent loan to neighbor kid who is studying for tech license. I do not miss it. If I want to get on Brandmeister I can use thumbDV or do YSF—>DMR thru hotspot with a HT that I enjoy using. DMR seems to appeal in the same way baofeng did in analog FM - it’s exciting if you like cheap hardware. Yes, you can get into digital radio with a DMR handheld for 1/5 the price of a kenwood with DStar. But you’ll spend a lot of time scouring newsgroups for codeplugs and fighting the programming software and will still have a less functional HT.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.