Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX dropping connections to external applications

Options
Watts - K4QJZ
Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in DAX
I believe I have found an issue with DAX where it stops sending data to external applications after a variable period of time, yet it appears based on the bar graph movements to be active.
I am wondering if others are seeing a similar issue.
When running applications the problem can be detected when the application using the DAX data stream suddenly stops decoding the received data when data is present, as if DAX had been turned off. ( It has been consistent it that we can reproduce this within a three hour window, the time can very from 45 mins to three hours but normally closer to 3 hours)The associated DAX channel bar graph shows the audio containing the data still being received but the application has suddenly stopped receiving/decoding the data.
The test it’s DAX is to not stop the application but to shut down DAX completely. Then restart it, and the application requiring the data flow immediately resumes translating the audio stream. I have found that stopping and starting the associated application does not result in the resumption of data, only stopping and restarting the DAX application. Stopping and restarting the specific stream didn’t result in a resumption a data flowing to the application either.
I have tried changing slices and DAX channels, same thing happens.

The environment is Windows 10, 64 bit 64G memory, 4 cores, SmartSDR 3.1.12. The screen saver, sleep functions, power save, etc. have all been checked and are disabled. Plus in the case of an application like MARS ALE it’s till talking to the radio and scanning channels at 2 per second.
To insure I do not have a corrupt driver or application and that I have good software to work with I have removed all Flex software and drivers, including DAX and CAT, downloaded a new install for 3.1.12 and reinstalled the software. Done a full factory reset of my 6700, including a power removed reset.
A developer who is working with my other radio, a 6500 had been experiencing the same issue with the same symptoms.
If there is another developer who has experienced this problem and found a way to keep the DAX stream alive, we would very much appreciate hearing from you as well, as this may turn out to be a show stopper in being able to use the Flex radios in our requirement.
Thanks,
   Watts
   K4QJZ
   NNA3GH

Comments

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Is this with the DAX audio or DAX IQ?   I've been playing with CW Skimmer and see something similar with the DAX IQ stream.
    73, Bob WK2Y
  • John Kludt
    John Kludt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What level of Windows update are you on - there is an issue with the latest Win10 update and many audio connections including DAX.  I backed out the last update after events very simlar to what you decribe began to happen and evertyhing has reverted to normal.

Bottom line - I suspect this is a Win10 update problem and not a DAX issue.  
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This is with the DAX audio channels, but suspect it will effect all channels to include IQ but have not tested it.
      Watts
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have believe its 1990? not in the same area as the PC to be ale to check but found the same thing when running windows 7 64 but I knew it was out of date so didn't reference it. I know its not the latest Windows 10 update, I am waiting to see what else pops up be fore allowing it.
    This has occurred with two other folks I know who have duplicated it running Windows 10.
    Thanks,
      Watts
  • Jay Adrick
    Jay Adrick Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Your description is similar to an issue that was reported by W8GNM a few days ago that both of us are having. In our case, we are loosing transmit audio out of the DAX into WSJT-X after a period of time in the same range as you are describing. The receive audio remains connected to WSJT-X and only the transmit audio drops. The only way we can restore the connection is to close WSJT-X or change the audio source and ten restore it back to DAX TX. The only difference from your configuration is that both of us are running SmartSDR 2.6.2.  Please take a look at W*GNM's post.

Thanks....Jay K8CJY
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Not sure this will help, but I was in FL for the Winter and operating my 6500 remotely, I did experience some of the same DAX dropouts on TX.  It was very frustrating.  However, now that I am home, my 6500 is on 24 hours a day monitoring 6m FT8.   DAX is on and working for days - no dropouts.  I can only surmise some kind of network issue.   Perhaps the DAX network TX is not as robust as RX, so even small dropouts can cause problems.   I always recommend a separate router (rather than the combo modem/router/switch supplied by your provider) and a managed switch for your network topology.
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have had the problem with losing TX DAX audio even though all settings look good. It just stops working. Restart PC and SmartSDR and everything starts working again. 
     I also get DAX set on in USB profiles without my knowledge. I have done a complete factory reset and reloaded Profiles and it still happens since 2.6.2 on a Flex 6600.
  • John Kludt
    John Kludt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I am on 2.6.2 and I run FT8 literally hours at a time with no issues.  Every now and then and not very often at all, WSJT-X will fail to generate an audio tone on Tx but that is a known WSJT-X issue  The fix is to restart WSJT-X.  What other applications are causing issues?
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I looked at latency first, good point. I am using my own commercial router and managed switches. The radio and PC are on the same switch by design, 2-3ms latency per FLEXs network status. I haven't seen this in transmit yet but in receive.
    Thanks,
      Watts
      K4QJZ
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    SoundModem 1.05 and MARS ALE (Current version). Both were set up primarily to monitor when I noticed the issue. I have recently talked directly to the author of MARS ALE and he has seen the same issue but thought it must be a driver issue but has found no problem with his development system so far.
    SoundModem was setup to log traffic of a local WinLink node in an attempt to monitor traffic loads at different times of day and possible disconnects.
    Thanks for the thought,
      Watts
      K4QJZ
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    As some others have suggested, I have now gone back and rechecked each individual DAX driver. I have found no issues as possibles causes as noted in multiple older comments. The Windows version is 1909.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions please keep them coming.
      Watts
      K4QJZ
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Next time you have a disconnect open settings > sound >sound control panel > recording tab > scroll down to DAX Audio RX [problem channel] right click > listen tab click "listen to this device". See if Windows is hearing DAX. See if the sound is correct. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.