Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect SmartSDR on iPad to Flex-6300 over WiFi?

Richard Mogford
Richard Mogford Member ✭✭
I want to connect SmartSDR on the iPad to my Flex-6300 over my WiFi network. What are the steps?

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    First, your Flex should be hardwired time your WiFi router, then your iPad should join the WiFi connection from your router, then check settings on SSDR on your iPad to look "Local" for a connection. The other options are SmartLink and direct (from memory), the first will attempt you log you into SmartLink servers, the latter will expect you to specify a fixed IP address for your Flex 6300. Hope that helps, Ken, N2VIP
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hey Richard
    i use my iphone on my 6400 everyday while setting on front porch, works great,
    i assume you've installed the ios version of smart sdr?
    i also assume your flex is connected to your router?
    open up ios sdr and click on first instance of your Flex(which should be the network and not thru smartlink)
    click connect and it should open up. be sure to click on the little icon in upper right corner of screen, it brings down the tabs for different settings and change the mic to you iphone. from there just tweak settings on various settings, such as waterfall speed, and such, i have better luck with audio using my earbuds rather than direct into iphone, get some reliable help as far as adjusting audio and your good to go, finally got mine where they cant tell difference where im on iphone or setting at rig, love the remote operation! hope i didnt get too much second grade on you, enjoy!
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    One final suggestion: if you can, use 5 Gig, not 2.4. If you are in a crowded (or not even so crowded) WiFi environment, 2.4 Gig with it's limited clear channels (3), and WiFi's shared bandwdith, will cause lost packets and unsatisfactory audio. 5 Gig has many more channels to choose from.

Load up one of the WiFi analysis tools available for Android and iPhones and survey your RF environment to help you pick the right WiFi channel to use. (Edit: I use "WiFi Analyzer")
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    Thanks! Yes, the 6300 is connected to a node in my mesh WiFi system. When I start SmartSDR on the iPad, I see an option for the 6300 over Smarktlink.  It prompts me to buy an upgrade for $59.95.  How do I connect directly rather than over Smartlink?

Richard
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Have you not paid for the iOS app in app store? You will have to buy the app. Flex doesn't do the app, it's a guy that has created it. It is a one time fee, and he upgrades it frequently at no extra charge
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Also, please let us know how the mesh WiFi works out. Not enough experience how it works for streaming audio and waterfall.
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    There was no charge for downloading PSDR on the App Store.  Once installed, there is a charge to use Smartlink apparently.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    And if you are on a new device, it may promp to repurchase - just refresh it - you won't be charged again on the same Apple Store account.
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    There is a section in the Tools of the SSDR app to pay $59.95. The feature to link over Smartlink has to be unlocked.  I don't mind this, but I think you said I could connect directly?

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You don't use power SDR!
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    Sorry, Smart SDR.

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    After you pay for the app you can
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You have to pay the one time fee to use the app either way
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    Will do. 

• Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    OK, thanks.

R
  • Richard Mogford
    edited June 2020
    I paid the fee but can't connect yet. I looked at the status in the SSDR software on the PC, and the Smartlink test fails. I am registered for Smartlink. Do I need to do something with port forwarding?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You want to direct connect to your network, not through SmartLink (at least not initially). If you are on the same network with your radio, it should show up as a connection choice once you have enabled the app (with a payment).

Be sure that your WiFi assigns your iPad / iPhone the same network number as your radio (i.e. if the radio has 192.168.1.21, your iPad / iPhone should have an address of the form 192.168.1.x). Technically speaking, the two devices must be in the same collision or broadcast domain.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oh, and under SSDR for iOS Settings, set "LAN mode" to "Discover". That way the broadcasts from the radio on the same network will be picked up and presented for connection. I am, of course, assuming that you connect locally to your radio with SSDR, so you know it works and see broadcasts on the SSDR application.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.