Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keying Expert 1.5K-FA amp

2»

Answers

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the info, Len.  I have wanted to do exactly what you are describing but didn't know about DDUtil.  I am using SliceMaster for WSJT-X and CWSkimmer.  Can you point me to help in setting it up and I'll try to figure out if it works with my SPE amp.  Thanks!  BTW, that's a **** of a fish you have there on QRZ!
  • Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Bob.  I am now quite gun shy about overdriving the amp and being very careful.  I think I'll stay with 1 KW. I have noticed that setting the amp for 1 KW on CW translates to 800 watts or less on WSJT-X and I don't understand why.
  • Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree Pat.  Dan made the cable I use and I have the USB control cable and control app.  It all works great.  I think my overdrive problems just built up over time with switching to the wrong antenna and other mistakes.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ed, Thanks - that was a fun fish to catch!  I just downloaded DDUtil from the K5FR.com site.  Open it up select setup. I see that the SPE amps are listed.  Just select your amp, select enable and select the com port it is using, and you are off to the races!
    Let me know if you have issues and I will try to help.
    Len
  • Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Len.  I will give that a try and let you know.

Ed
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes, overdriving an amp, especially a SS one, can lead to premature failure of RF and power supply components. And trying to squeeze max power out from an amp will do nothing for your received signal. The only one who benefits from that is the electric co.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    ALC doesn't work for SPE amps.  Way better to use the drive method implemented by SPE.  It's right in their manual and talked about below.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.