Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Strange security alert from Xfinity on my Flex6400m

Xfinity updated their security for my Gateway. When reading the information and looking at my account it had this listed. I run my 6400m with the front panel not windows smartsdr. I run strictly digital modes mostly FT8 and PSK31. I took this snapshot. Any thoughts?image

Answers

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also use Xfinity Xfi for my home Internet and about once a week I see a blocked attacked notice similar to that. They show which device was attacked and it can be the PC my 6400 is connected to, the Maestro, my iPhone, iPad or Macbook. They seem pretty random but the Xfinity firewall does block them. The only remedy they show is to restart the device. My 6400 and Maestro are connected to a switch with an Ethernet connection to my router. I do use several of the Xfi wireless extenders in home but don't know if that's a factor. As long is Xfinity can block them I expect it's not a problem.

Phil
    N3ZP
  • Ross Slater
    Ross Slater Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I was just curious
  • Ross Slater
    Ross Slater Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also use another program for my antivirus and firewall. Just thought it was odd that the Flex was the only one trying to be accessed.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    LOL and GEEZ  you might find the following other post and my comments and Flex comments regarding this a bit enlightening ..

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/deprecation-of-smartlink-social-media-sign-on

by all means please share there

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    With a more advanced router (like a pfsense), or even just a linux based routing system running firewall system with logging, you will see these kind of attempts often.  Again, this like someone knocking on the outside of your locked and dead-bolted front door.  They know there is a house there and that there is a door, but it doesn't mean that they have access.

In the same way, there are many bad actors out there on the internet searching for IP addresses that have systems on the other end they can try to exploit.  Knowing this, SmartLink was designed from the ground up with security in mind.  A rogue attempt like this will not be able to gain access to the radio.

I don't know enough about your network to try to explain why your radio would be the only device that shows up in that list, but I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.