Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexAPI backward compatibility

Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR API
I am working on some station automation code that use the Flex Lib version 3.0.8. Is there a newer version out there to get?

Also, if I wanted to support older FlexLib APIs what strategies should be applied? Do you build your own FlexLib API dlls for differnet versions? Then I would also have to ship these dlls. Becomes messy. 

How have others dealt with this?

Andy
KU7T 

Answers

• Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I allow users to send me debug information, and part of that is the version of their firmware.  If that differs from the version my program was built with, which is known to my users, then I may have to say something like, "You're using unsupported firmware."  If it's obviously my problem though, I'll fix it.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Call it firmware or SmartSDR. Does not matter. there are 3 supported versions of SmartSDR v1, v2 and v3. Ideally, a piece of software should be able to handle these all, and gracefully degrade functionality that does not exist yet (multiFlex does not exist in v2, as an example). But the rest of the program should still function.  

This is what I was trying to see how others have dealt with it...

Andy
    KU7T
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2020
    I'm just a wanna be programmer. I have wondered about the same thing. One thing I do know is that sometimes, between versions, there is more changed than features and functionality. Some command/response structures are changed in the newer API that streamline the particular function, and that requires recoding to pass parameters to the radio and read the responses correctly. Because of that, and getting newer features that interest me, I have continued upgrading as new major versions have come out. That has led to some head scratching at times! :-) James WD5GWY
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You hit the nail on the head. That is certainly also a tricky part. But that can be dealt with. That's what I called earlier to "gracefully degrade functionality" if some features are not supported.

However, the mechanism of packaging 3 API version, with a way to switch on program start and writing my own program to an API interface rather than the actual instance of an API version, that's what I am trying to wrap my head around...  I am sure I can figure it out, but I thought this is a common enough case for others already solved it...

Andy
    KU7T

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.