Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M Smart SDR version recommendation

Options
Rusty Jones
Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a "new" / evidently never activated 6600M coming to me within the next couple weeks. It is a V.2 radio. After reading about ATU/SD card corrections I am trying to clarify on the best version for the radio update. Do I go with the most recent V.2 release or should I consider going to V.3. What are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks for everyone here. This forum, and the old 1500, are what brought me to this purchase to replace my trusty K3 as a primary rig. 

thanks,
Rusty K4SAA

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rusty,

You will get a lot of answers and opinions.

Personally, I'd paid the money to up to 3.1.x.  Not only does it help flex but you get latest features.  Even if you don't think Multi-flex will help you there are other improvements in 3.1.x that I think are worthwhile.

Since it is the main stream of development you will also get updates faster I believe, by a little than being on the 2.x line.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My suggestion is if you don't need multiple operators on  your rig at the same time, go with the latest 2.x version until you get your sea legs for the 6000/SmartSDR combination.  Both the latest 2.x and 3.x are supposed to have the SD card corruption fix in them.  So, ease your way into the 6K experience!
  • Rusty Jones
    Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Primarily Contesting / DX with some SO2R in larger contests with 75% being CW or Digi. What are some improvements that 3.1.x would offer for those?
  • Rusty Jones
    Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you, Duane!  Having not run a radio under the SmartSDR software, I'm trying to prepare to set it up the best for what i do. This is a great group. 

Rusty K4SAA
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It really depends what you plan to do with your new radio. Look at the features in V3 and see if they are what you need. If the features are not important to you at this time, stay with V2 but make sure you have the latest update. All the performance updates in V3 have been also ported into V2.6.2. No need to pay for a version that has nothing you need,,YET. Later, if you want to jump to V3 for what ever reason you can do that anytime.
  • Rusty Jones
    Rusty Jones Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you Bill!!
    Rusty K4SAA
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rusty - I was in the exact situation you are in now - having recently acquired a mint, 1-owner 6600M (Silent Key estate sale). It was supplied with SSDR Ver 2.6.1 and I updated it to ver. 2.6.2. After getting familiar with using it, I realized that it was one of the finest HF transceivers I ever used, with many desirable features,  and one I was likely going to keep for the long term. I am a single-op ham and don't do any remote work, so sticking with Ver. 2.6.2 would have been fine for my needs. But after deciding that the 6600M was going to be a 'keeper', I ponied up and bought the Ver. 3.x update. I saved many hundreds of dollars buying the 6600M used so I figured paying another $200 for the update wouldn't 'break the bank' and this way I know I have the 'latest and greatest' and I'll be eligible for all the Ver. 3 updates, which will likely me the last Version I'll ever need. Plus it's helping to support Flex, which as a small business trying to survive in this difficult economic climate, gives me a good feeling - very few amateur equipment manufacturers left in the US so I do not want to see Flex go away, like happened to Drake, Ten-Tec, etc. Just some things to think about. Good luck with the 'new' Flex - I've owned a few different SDR rigs in past few years, and I can honestly say that the 6600M is right up there near the top. 

Bob K3AC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.