Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PC-ALE/MARS-ALE Dynamic Link Library-RADIO (DLL-RADIO) Framework enhancement

Options
N2CKH
N2CKH Member
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
Hello All,

I am inviting anyone interested to join the DLL-RADIO framework enhancement conversation in support of both HAM radio and MARS users of FLEX6000 transceivers.

The DLL-RADIO framework is a generic framework of common radio requirements for the development of a radio control driver in support of 2G ALE operation.

Although at last count the internal PC-ALE/MARS-ALE radio control library supported over 200 radios, 143 models of transceivers from 19 manufacturers and 75 receivers from 15 manufacturers. However not having hands on with more than a few make/models of radios and new ones always coming along, I decided it would be best for the user community with the specific make/model radio in hand to create their own driver.

Thus DLL-RADIO provides the user community the ability to write a radio control driver for PC-ALE. It was released in 2014. It requires actual coding and compiling to a Windows .DLL which challenged must PC-ALE users. So I followed it up with MMI-RADIO where users could create a simple ASCII file based driver that was more popular.

However the time has come to enhance and integrate DLL-RADIO into MARS-ALE (and update PC-ALE accordingly) and provide Linux DLL-RADIO (.so file) support. The Linux need is in support of new portable black box ALE modem/controller server development targeting Raspberry Pi SBC's and TI ARM/DSP SoC's to start, where DLL-RADIO shall be the only means of providing a radio control driver.

I had the forethought to add TCP/IP support to the initial DLL-RADIO framework, but never implemented a dedicated radio TCP/IP port in PC-ALE. That TCP/IP, UDP aspect of the DLL-RADIO frame work is being enhanced where I am using the FLEX6000 requirements as the basis, assuming new framework may also future HF-SDR products from other manufactures considering the excellent groundwork FlexRadio has developed in adopting VITA-49. Coming from the DoD software/firmware environment I always embrace the use of Military Standards or industry standards developed to support the DoD.

I have been studying the SmartSDR API documentation and discussing the FLEX6000 series with a few MARS owners. However I do not own a FLEX6000 transceiver. I the effort would best benefit from those interested in the subject, having SmartSDR API development experience joining the conversation. 

Amateur and MARS members can join:

https://groups.io/g/PC-ALE-DLL-RADIO

MARS members only can join:

https://groups.io/g/MARS-ALE-DLL-RADIO

Thanks in advance for your interest and support.

Sincerely,.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH
support@marsale.org

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.