Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ON MY HEIL PR40 MIC I HAVE TO GO TO HIGH PTICHED OPRA VOICE TO GET MY HF AMPLIFIER TO GET TO A 1000

Options
Julie KC0TMD
Julie KC0TMD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hello,

My name is Julie KC0TMD.

I notice that when I am using my Heil PR40 mic on my Flex-6600M going in to my PALSTAR LA-1K Amplifier on 20 Meter, that I have to use my opera voice to peek my PALSTAR LA-1K to full out put of 1KW. Why is this? Is it because I am a female and I have to adjust my eq levels with this mic to get more punch because I am a female?

What is the best setting on the EQ settings on the Flex-6600M EQ for a female. I know that each person needs different settings based on other factors and the pitch and tone of there voice.

My PALSTAR LA-1K is working as it should. Any help or advised would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Julie KC0TMD

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Julie, the female voice typically has more "punch" that the male voice, so I doubt that is an issue.  Generally, unless you whistle into the mic, you will not see peak power at it's fullest, which is why you often hear folks whistling into their mics.  NM9P has a really good tutorial on YouTube on how to set your equalizer.  You will want to do that without the amp, of course.  He has a really cool trick that uses the unique capabilities of the Flex (Full Duplex).  You basically set the EQ to distribute your voice uniformly across the audio bandwidth.

Len, KD0RC
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Julie

Settings / Radio Setup / Bias 20 db 

On P/CW Tab  I use BAL Line 90 then DX

EQ 63 and 125 -9, 250 -4, 500 3, 1K 7, 2k 7 4k 3,  8K 1

EQ you will need to adjust for your voice but that should get U going.

Ian
    KM4CQG
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My voice is too deep for good radio work, so I have to set EQ to reduce the lows and peak the highs.  Many voice types require some kind of optimization via EQ to work well in punching through.  Have you tried the DX settings yet? 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Do you mean Bias on and +20 db amp?
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    What is the purpose of turning on the mic "bias"?  I can't find any info on that in the 6600 user's manual but may have missed it.   I know Elecraft uses the term for providing 'phantom power' to electret type mikes that require +7 VDC to power the element, but it doesn't seem like that corresponds to the 'bias/dB' feature in the Flex? 
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Pat, The bias is just what you are describing - bias voltage for electret mics.  The +20 dB button turns on the mic preamp on and off, and is independent from the bias.

Len, KD0RC 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    No need for BIAS if you use a Dynamic Mic like PR40 - maybe you can **** your dyn. Mic with BIAS !!
    I am using the PR40

Chris
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You may need the 20db gain enabled, Make sure you are close talking the mic to keep you voice consistent. Is you power meter set for AVG? that will help determine if you audio is were it needs to be.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    IMHO what you need is to get on the air with a knowledgeable operator and have him listen to your audio and set it up. Most HEIL mics are bass heavy to start with so for a starting place I would roll off the bottom end and increase in the 1k 2k etc range. It is hard (very hard) to sit here and type and tell you how to setup your audio without listening to it

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Here is a screenshot of the Flex Manual for how to set up the audio input level for SSB.  Only add the +20Db gain if necessary.

Alan
    WA9WUD

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    make sure you turn on your TX Equalizer and set it so when your talking watch the pan adapter and make it as FLAT top across the top as possible from like 300HZ to 3000Hz. 
    The Heil PR40 is a wonderful MIC and works great for my wife and I with the same settings, most times my wife get's much better reports then I do. 
    Are you measuring your output with a PEP Power Meter? If not then this might be your only issue if your audio on your radio's pan-adapter is flat as above.
    Here are my settings for the PR40 for my wife and I BUT yours will be different for the PR40 then mine 
    +20 on   
    BIAS NOT REQUIRED 
    mic setting Balanced, level 56 

OH the PR40 IS VERY VERY DIRECTIONAL and you need to talk right into the front of the mic NOT the side of it.
    73's
    Bret WX7Y

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Good picture Bret and pretty much what I described rolling off the bottom and increasing the highs because most of the Heil mics are bass heavy
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My mistake after reviewing setting the BIAS under Radio setup should be off. The + 20db is ON.

Julie was any of this helpful?

Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.