Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPSDO externe

on5po
on5po Member ✭✭
Good morning all ,
I'm looking for help
I bought, an external GPSDO (without brand), from a flex seller here in Europe,
Difficult to have a correct procedure for use on my flex 6700 version 2.6.1
I connected the cables well, switched on, after 17 minutes, the lamp, red, which should go out when the number of visible satellites is sufficient, it goes out.
my questions, in the "setup, GPS" should I have the number of satellite altitudes etc ...
here empty
to perform the control, in what mode should I put the flex and on what frequency. can I perform the "start" maneuver in the "RX" section of the setup, to see the result.
Thank you for helping me, with a walkthrough
73 de on5po, Janny

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Hi Janny, yes, just click the Start to begin the calibration.  Make sure that you have an antenna on the Ant1 connector, and that you can hear the calibration station (WWV here in the US), and that you have that frequency entered in the Cal Frequency box.

Len, KD0RC
  • Steve VanWambeck
    Steve VanWambeck Member
    edited May 2020
    The GPS information will only be available using the internal Flex GPSDO.

73 de Steve, N9VW
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The only way your external GPSDO can work with your Flex is by supplying a high stability 10 MHz reference to the Flex external reference input. The Flex SSDR will not know about your GPS details, but you will get the high accuracy you want. 73 Martin AA6E
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    He won’t need any calibration station.  The program will just use the external 10 MHz GPSDO signal to calibrate.  But he will need to press START.
  • KD0RC
    edited May 2020
    Hi Brian, I believe that it works the same way whether it is the TCXO, internal GPSDO or external GPSDO. It locks in on whichever oscillator source it has, then uses whatever calibration sig is specified (e.g. 10 MHz WWV). In my case, WWV at 2.5 MHZ gives me an adjustment of -3 ppb when using the GPSDO. Using the TCXO, it gives an adjustment of somewhere around -1200 ppb. If you were to manually set the adjustment to zero with a GPSDO, you would likely be within a fraction of a Hz anyway, so I recognize that it is not critical to do the cal in that case. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited May 2020
    Exactly.  I was just pointing out the he didn’t need to hear any cal station.  Just press start.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for the explanations ,
    with the external gpsdo, no need, so to put me on WWV, ok, but to do the "start" test, I have to put "start" in which mode, and on what frequency
    73 of on5po, Janny
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Good morning all ,
    after sleeping on it, I recap, what I understood,
    the external GPSDO replaces the WWV signal received by my HF antenna
    It does not allow to have information, like the number of satellites, longitude / latitude, etc, as allows an internal GPSDO from Flex, it allows by turning off a lamp to say after a certain time, that it has several satellite reception.
    If this is the case, if you do not intervene manually for a calibration, the gpsdo, it will not do it for you automatically
    There, I think I understood correctly.

my question (again), with an external gpsdo, I have to put the flex, on the frequency 10 Mhz and do the calibration as did without gpsdo, but under what mode AM, CW or .....? it seems to me having seen, that the flex automatically puts on AM as soon as the test is requested,
    thank you for specifying me, the first maneuver to do, on 10Mhz in what?

Sorry to bore you with my ignorance, I am sure that it will be useful for others, especially not to make an inconsiderate purchase,
    73 on5po, Janny
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
      When you have an external GPSDO connected to a 6700, 6500,  6300 you will not see any indication that it it working on the settings/GPS tab. When you push the START button on the RX tab, it will automatically change the radio mode to AM and to the WWV frequency you have specified then do the calibration and when its done it will switch your mode and frequency back to where it was before hitting the START button. The only thing you need to make sure is your antenna is on ANT1 and it is receiving the WWV  signal good enough to do the calibration.

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Larry,
    why, I still have this difference of -2677 ppb, even if I repeat the calibration
    is this normal?
    I am with the external gpsdo, I put myself on 10 Mhz with the flex

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I notice in relation to your image, I don't have "Binaural audio" Enabled, should I check it?
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The 6300, 6500, and 6700 only check for an external reference on power up. I’d suggest you turn your radio off, make sure the external GPSDO is on and locked, then turn your 6700 on. It should lock to the GPSDO during power up. Logan, KE7AZ
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Logan,
    A big thank you, a very good suggestion, now 23ppb
    I think we've covered the subject,
    A big thank you to all
  • KD0RC
    edited May 2020
    Start only works with an off the air cal station. Without a cal stn, you can just enter ppb to manually adjust (typically 0 if you use a gpsdo). Here is an experiment that shows how it works. With the gpsdo running, type 1000 into the ppb adjustment box and hit enter. Now go to WWV and see that you are off freq. Press start, and see that WWV comes up in AM mode, and the ppb moves to some small number. If no cal stn was involved, you would just enter an adj of zero in ppb. Make sense? Len
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited May 2020
    I connected my gpsdo, pressed start and it came back with 0 one time, 3 another.  I checked against WWV and it was perfect.  I just assumed that was the way to do it since it worked so well.
  • KD0RC
    edited May 2020
    Yep, it worked because there is a WWV freq listed in the Cal Frequency box.  If it finds a sig there, it calibrates that last few PPB out.  If not, I think it just goes with whatever it finds (noise?) and gives a bogus adjustment.  Given that we are talking about a fraction of a Hz, setting the adjustment to zero and don't hit the Start (if you have a GPSDO) will work fine if you don't have a good cal sig to work with.  I am only an hour's drive south of Ft. Collins, so I get WWV really well...

Len

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.