Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Amazing New LEO Satellite; RS-44

Options
Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Amateur Radio Interests
A new Low Earth Satellite, RS-44 has recently become usable for Amateurs.

RS-44 is using a Linear Inverting transponder on the SSB mode.  RS-44 has a passband of up to 40 kHz allowing multiple QSOs for each pass.  RS-44 is unique when compared to present linear birds in that its downlink frequency is on 70 CM band.  

RS-44 is a Russian Satellite, that I understand "failed to deploy" and is attached to its delivery vehicle in a higher than normal orbit.  Also at 5 watts of  RF output power, it is much higher than other LEO birds of typical 10 Mw of output power.

All this makes for a very powerful satellite.

Attached is a video of the Satellite screen of my first observation of a pass.   Several key observations;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTVDt_0yS8&feature=youtu.be

1- The doppler on the downlink (the upper panadapter) is very pronounced.  Note how FlexSatPC is doing a fine job of tracking the downlink (upper panadapter) and the uplink (lower panadapter).  You can see me moving the downlink frequency and the uplink following below.

2- See the SATPC32 map on the left.  The cone of influence for RS-44 is very large.   I was listening to "pile-ups" on a station calling CQ from Europe, as I sit in my Michigan station.   I have never experienced that before!

Programs in use are SatPC32, FlexSat and Smart SDR.

Alan
WA9WUD 

Comments

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hey, cool, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the YouTube but where's the audio?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.