Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M watchouts for buying used?

Options
Bruce KX4AZ
Bruce KX4AZ Member
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am considering buying a used 6400M unit.  I am completely sold on the features and specifications, but want to know if there are any "watchouts" related to hardware/software versions of the radio since it was released.  Also, would knowing the serial number be of any use prior to purchasing?

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Antenna tuner installed = good.  At least SSDR version 2 licensed = good.  
  • Bruce KX4AZ
    Bruce KX4AZ Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It has the tuner installed.  I am not sure about the SSDR - how much cost does that add?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SmartSDR (SSDR) is currently on version 3. You can upgrade a version 1 or 2 radio for $199. You can look at the release notes to see what features and bug fixes are important to you to decide if you want to upgrade. Note that you don't have to upgrade to v2 from v1, you can go straight to v3 if it is a v1 radio. I have v3 here, so I don't have any experience with the older versions. I can say that my radio and SSDR are working very well together and I have no desire to down grade. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Bruce KX4AZ
    Bruce KX4AZ Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thanks all for the extremely useful information and rapid replies.  Really helps me in weighing the value proposition.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    When you order you radio, you will be on V3. As a new customer you would need to understand that the software is always in flux, never finished. But just as it is now? There are things we all would like to see added or fixed, but it is really nice as is. There have been about 4 or 5 upgrade, updates per year. And customer service is great, along with this Flex community, it is a win win.
  • paul
    paul Member ✭✭
    Options

I bought a 6400 from an estate with V2. How do I update to V3 and change the sign on to my call and name. I already have a 6600 with V3. paul, wa3qpx

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul, the Version 3 license will have to be purchased from FLEX as that is assigned to the Radio NOT the user.

To change the Call sign, Do you mean the call SmartLink is using, or the Call sign displayed on the front panel?

To change on SmartLink then you simply logout of SmartLink and log in with your information.

To change the call sign on the Radio itself then the easiest way is to load up SmartSDR then click on "Settings" then "Radio setup" and down about halfway down you will see "Callsign" and simply change it.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Paul, What Bret said plus do a factory reset (be sure to export your profiles first). Then set up your own SmartLink account if you plan on operating the radio remotely. I initially did not think I would operate mine remotely, but set up a SmartLink account anyway. Glad I did... I now frequently operate remotely from campsites where I have cell service. I use my phone as a hotspot and it works great!

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul,

What hasn't been mentioned is that you can upgrade to the current version 2 software for free. Since that radio already has a version 2 license, just go to the flex download site and go through the complete update instructions for that version. The big thing that version 3 gives you is that 2 users can operate the radio simultaneously. If that is not important to you, version 2 is a good way to get your feet wet. You can still operate it remotely but just with only one operating position. Many of us have a radio just with version 2 and Flex keeps it updated with bug fixes etc.

Bill

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.