Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problems with my Downeast Microwave 2M75LDPA...

Options
Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have an early model Downeast Microwave 2M75LDPA (#138), to use my 6700 for 2 Meter operation.

Although it is 'rated for 75W, these days the best I can get out of it is 40W when it is at room temperature...

Unfortunately, it doesn't continue to output at 40W - instead over minutes of FM transmission the RF will drop to below 18W?

No doubt, if I tried this test longer, I could get even a lower power output.

The chassis wasn't warm, even at the 18W output stage.

I don't believe it is my power supply, since everything else has its usual full duty cycle capabilities, and I don't think it is my 6700's drive power, since if I adjust the 6700 to drive it with all the LDPA's LED bar light glowing, they continue to all be lit as the output power declines.

Downeast Microwave sold this model off to Q5Signal, and I have contacted them. They suggest I ship it down to them, to take a look for what might be going on.

Anyone with any similar experiences, or good ideas (I don't have any test equipment at my QTH and getting parts may not be as easy as in 'calmer days')?

Stay safe!
Roy AC2GS

Comments

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Roy, is there a potentiometer or something on the bottom side of the 2M75? I seem to recall that it might tweak your power out levels? I have the same device but never tweaked that element myself. Just trying to remember and make a helpful contribution here. Good luck!
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thanks John,

If it was just a matter of sub-optimal initial output levels, I would be game to 'tweak' an internal '****' (except that it might introduce distortions into the signal at a higher gain rate).

My present problem would appear to be a thermal issue - as the device warms up, tis RF output steadily diminishes. I assume it is a fault with one or more discrete components and if I had a proper repair setup I could 'cold spray' different components, find the errant parts and order them online.

Q5Signal supplies full schematics and parts lists...

I was just hoping for some design flaw that someone has already discovered and found a quick and easy fix for it.

Stay safe,
    Roy AC2GS
  • John Kludt
    John Kludt Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Roy,

You can fiddle with it for a while or just send it to Cory at Q5.  He does great work at very reasonable prices and he is really quick about turnaround.  If you want to work on it then of course go ahead.  But don't worry about using Q5 Signal.

John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.