Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

log4om not reading right freq from SDR.

KI4P
KI4P Member ✭✭
omni rig not picking up frequency from SDR sometimes, using log4om2, version 1 seem to work fine, but went over to ver 2 and sometimes when i start log4om it comes on with right freq, but most time not, have to restart sdr to get log4 to read freq and then it seems to work ok, checked omni rig and shows smart sdr and using com 5, 9600 not sure what else to try, also is the baud rate changeable in smart sdrcat? sdr cat shows it is in use by omni rig when log4 is on, but its reading wrong freq till i restart sdr? any ideas appreciated

Answers

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Go ro cat and open window.  Highlight it. Then select log.  A window will open and show what cat commands with associated cat data.  It is easy to read the frequency being moved in the cat system. If nothing is happening then something is not set right in OmniRig or Cat settings.  Hope that helps.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are using Log4OM v2.  Follow the install config instruction exactly.  Order of start up of apps is important.  Order I use is SmartSDR then Log4OM, then any other apps like wsjt-x or fldigi.  Reason to start SmartSDR is to get the associated apps running first such SmartCAT and SmartDAX.  so that OmniRig sees the comm port associated with CAT.  
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    always start sdr first, started this morning, seemed to follow right along on several band changes, then went to 10 meters and it stayed on 20, tried restarting log4 and still came up on 20 and wouldnt follow, sdr cat shows omnirig connected, had to restart sdr to get it working again. 
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    well, box not checked. started this morning, seemed to follow right along on several band changes, then went to 10 meters and it stayed on 20, tried restarting log4 and still came up on 20 and wouldnt follow, sdr cat shows omnirig connected, had to restart sdr to get it working again. and when it quits most of time restarting sdr will get it in sync. dont understand why its losing connection when sdr cat shows connected. just tried and radio was on 20 and log4 was on 40. but interesting that if i move the freqency showing on log4 it will move freq on radio, strange! but then if i move freq on sdr log4 wont follow! defiantly crazy 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What I do is **** SmartSDR CAT and restart it, instead of killing SDR completely.  This action usually would clear the issue.  As of this date, I still have the same problem as you.  
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    thanks, didnt think about that, i did **** cat and restart and it hung in there. thanks again
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Question, are you using the screen saver or any computer sleep modes?
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    was but turned ss of and no difference, seems like when most time when i start log4  it tracks for just a min and quits, restart sdr cat and sems to track fine, dont understand whats going on, almost seems something is amis in sdr cat
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What version of OmniRig are you running....
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    1.19, what log4 said to use.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks.  The one thing that I do that has contributed to stable operation, was to make sure that the com port registry was clean.  Another thing was I did a reset of the CAT ports to make sure it had no phantom ports.  These two actions really helped in many respects, including the operation of other apps that use pc com ports.  Good luck, it can take a long time to find solutions that get things stable.  It has taken me over a year to get to the point that I can run with stability and reliability.  Windows in general has to many variables influencing how stable PC/Radio systems run.  This seems to cause such a wide range of problems.  Most of these problems are communication problems between apps.  My only remaining problem is occasional Log4OM com lockup problems, that seem to be in related to previous issues.  This I think is more related to OmniRig/Log4OM problem.  I think it is time that ALL equipment/app providers agree on a single inter app/equipment plan.  Simplifying the communications process would go a long way to improve all our inter app/equipment issues.  
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    just as a follow up Pat,
    started not starting sdr cat till after i started sdr. other words unchecked auto start, and since log 4 has been solid as a rock, hasnt misfired one time, starnge, beyond me to try and figure it out. just an FYI!. thanks for your input
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for your update, ok on not auto starting CAT.  I also did an experiment on the OmniRig side of the CAT port.  I changed the polling time from 1000 (1 sec.) ms to (.2 sec.)  200 ms.  This has improved the situation for me with Log4OM and SmartSDR.  It seems that Log4OM likes to occasionally stall and I think when that happens OmniRig times out.  Killing com between the two programs. Log4OM gets frequency data from sdr.  Also, there is a new updated version 2.5.0 of Log4OM.  Not sure if there is any influence there from the new version.   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.