Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Homemade GPS antenna

Options
N9VC
N9VC Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Here is an idea for a GPS antenna. My supplied antenna quit working with my GPSDO.
So with no spare on hand, I took a BNC chassis mount connector and cut my antenna
element out of 18 gauge copper plated steel wire for rigidity. The element halves are
each 2 inches long and fed it it with RG-6 for lower loss.
Solder one half to the center conductor and the other half to the flange.
Now if you attempt this, just be careful that you do not short out the center to ground
as DC power is fed up to the supplied active antenna. That could damage the unit.
So if you do not feel comfortable doing this, don't.
Here is a snapshot with the homemade GPS antenna locked on to some satellites.
I do plan to get a replacement antenna from Flex, so this is not permanent.
Tim or Mike, if you feel this should be removed for any reason, please do so.

73, Jim N9VC

The element length is arbitrary.

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• l plumb
    l plumb Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    JIM
    That is a fantastic idea.  I have a window that slides up and down and i partially cut the existing wire but it still worked with tape etc.  I am going to try your idea.  How critical is the 2 in dimension ??
    and for a **** question what freq am I trying to receive ??
    Larry Plumb
    wa2tly
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    1.57542 GHz (L1 signal) and 1.2276 GHz (L2 signal) are the two common frequencies. I
    borrowed from a QST article published October 2002. Mine is not as elaborate. It was
    more to verify the GPSDO still worked in the Flex.
    My next move is to replace the coax on the antenna in case it was a connector that failed.
    And if that does not work, then a new replacement antenna from Flex is in order.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.