Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mean Power Transverter Help

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
I recently purchased a Mean Power Transverter dual band high power from UR3LMZ in Ukraine. I had another transverter (VHF Only) that was fed from the transverter port and it works well. 
This new transverter requires 5-10 watts to operate and for PTT. 
Is there a way to do this on my Flex 6500. I can probably operate it using ANT 2  but I can not get the VHF or UHF frequencies on display like the old one using the transverter. 
I want dual band and higher power output capabilities so that was the reason for the purchase. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Band-144-432-to-28-MHz-12Watts-ASSEMBLED-TRANSVERTER-VHF-UHF-28mhz/132503036008?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D6b185ef10a944ed2b8751775dbabe7f4%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D254447041726%26itm%3D132503036008%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A3e15bca9-6955-11ea-8c05-74dbd1803bb1%7Cparentrq%3Aef4996991700aade0352ed1bffd5c28f%7Ciid%3A1

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Reid
VA3QB   

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The text in the link you included states that there is an input attenuator. I can't find details in a quick search but perhaps you can bypass the attenuator and use the transverter port on the Flex.

EDIT: I also found this:

A separate low-power input bypassing the attenuator is provided.

Although, I do not see it in the photos...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    The transverter feature in SmartSDR only uses the low power transverter port.  I recommend investigating the low power option mentioned by Geoff - AB6BT.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Tim

I talked to the manufacturer and he says that you need the 5 watts to PTT it. I can make it work on Antenna Port 2  but parts of the 2M band are in the 29M range and are not able to TX.  Is there any options there ?  

Bill
    VA3QB
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ask the manufacturer how you can hardwire PTT control and use one of the Flex TX outputs, and, how you can bypass the input attenuator. Than you can use the transverter port.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Anybody have any suggestions on how I could mod this unit to PTT with a Flex using the transverter port and bypass the attenuator.  I have attached the schematic.  If it's not clear enough , let me know and I'll email as copy.  Below is also the instructions from manufacturer. 

144 MHz + 432 MHz to 28 MHz Dual Band Assembled Mean Power Transverter. Add more bands to your HF radio!! New Generation of UR3LMZ. Dual Band 144 MHz + 432 MHz transverter with high dynamic range and MEAN POWER – 12Wtts on 144 and 5Wtts on 432 mhz It is specially developed for severe conditions of reception – contests, DXing, the neighboring powerful broadcasting and amateur stations. The mixer is made on special HI-frequency ADE chip with whopping dynamic range IP3 + 17dBm typ. This transverter includes everything you need to use in conjunction with a HF transceiver with output power of 5-10 watts. Contains the input attenuator and the switch of the bypass on the HF antenna. In the bypass mode, the permissible power is 100 watts. When turning the transverter power on, the HF antenna is turned off and the transverter output is connected. The PTT control of the transverter is automatic with RF power , or forced for a small input power of less than 1 mW. A separate low-power input bypassing the attenuator is provided. Due to the automatic switching mode of the attenuator when the RF is applied, even a power of 100 watts, randomly applied to the input, will not be dangerous. Then only set the optimal power of 5-10 watts, and that’s it. For SSB, the transmission is held in speech pauses, and the TX to RX after the HF removal is about 0.5 sec. This transverter is fully assembled and configured in the UR3LMZ laboratory. It has a strong ammonium box. All inscriptions are marked with a modern laser engraving method. The inscriptions are not erased and have a very beautiful appearance. Information about this transverter. DC current is 12V to 14V. Current consumption 3A (TX). LO freq is 116MHz and 404MHz. LO accuracy at 18C typ +/- 2ppm. LO freq stability -20... +70 C +/- 30ppm. IF RF input power on 28mhz is. 5 to 10Wt (or 1mW in low power mode). Output power on 144 mhz 12... Output power on 432 mhz 5Wt. Dynamic range IP3 +17dBm typ. Noise figure 1.0dB max 1.5dB on 432 MHz. PTT automatic (or ground for low power mode). RF connectors type BNC standart. Size of the transverter. To byu TRANSVERTER on other bands or another model, please, see. The item “Dual Band 144 + 432 to 28 MHz 12Watts ASSEMBLED TRANSVERTER VHF UHF 28mhz” is in sale since Monday, February 12, 2018. This item is in the category “Consumer ElectronicsRadio CommunicationHam, Amateur RadioHam Radio Transceivers”. The seller is “hfvhfparts” and is located in EUROPE. This item can be shipped worldwide.
    Type: Transverter
    Brand: Unbranded/Generic
    MPN: Does Not Apply
    Frequency Band(s): VHF
    Supported Modes: AM
    Country/Region of Manufacture: Ukraine
    Mono/Multi Band: Dual Band
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Hi Bill, it looks like S1, S2 and S3 can be set to bypass the attenuator.  Are they dip switches inside the case?  I would start with the power turned way down, and increase it slowly to see the relationship of the XVTR power to final output power with S1 and S3 set to bypass the atten.
    Len, KD0RC
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2020
    OK, I looked more closely at the schematic and ebay picture...  S1 S2 and S3 are relays, not switches.  It looks like S2 and S3 are thrown based on input power.  If you feed in a small sig, it will bypass the attenuator while 5 - 10 W will keep the atten in line. Hook it up to the transverter port on the Flex and feed it a 1 mW (0dBm) signal to see what it does.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    The transverter feature is not supporting when using the PA (ANT-1/2)
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Right... I meant Transverter output not TX. Sorry for the confusion, I was typing ahead of my brain.
  • HamRadio
    HamRadio Member, Unconfirmed
    Hello Bill

I need this scheme that is above in your post. It's an older version without the synthesizer. I can't find it anywhere.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ivica, 73 9a2uv@hamradio.hr

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.