Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Saving MIC Profiles

W2ECK
W2ECK Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
So finally got around to setting up Profiles on my 6600. Read the manual and watched a few videos and started by trying to set up a few MIC profiles. Either I am doing something wrong or I missed the memo on something being changed in SSDR. On page 72 in manual is a list of the items that are supposed to be saved when I set up a new mic profile, except none of those are being saved. Only the new name I assign seems to being saved. So what did I miss on saving MIC Profiles??

73 Paul w2eck

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    How are you trying to bring up a mic profile? you can bring down the drop down list on the control panel to select it, instead of going to the profile menu at the top.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bill
    have tried both.  Neither seems to cause any change to the “saved”:parameters
    73 Paul
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I don't know,,if you select save after you make all your changes, it should save all the mic fields.
    So after you have everything the way you want them, select new, name it, then save.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bill -
    The only choices are on the mic tab are: Load, Create, Reset and Delete. After setting all the parameters I want to keep in the profile, I choose CREATE. But that is not working??

73 Paul
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    With the latest versions of SmartSDR v2 and v3, Mic profiles that you create are dynamically saved if the profile is loaded and you make a change to one of the profile parameters.  The same goes for the TX profile, but not the Global profile.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Paul, hopefully at some point they will add an ON/OFF switch for the auto save "feature" they added to the latest versions of smartSDR.

I am still on version 2.49 because I hate auto save. I want to decide when something is saved!!!

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim - not sure I understand what you mean by " profiles that you create are dynamically saved if the profile is loaded and you make a change to one of the profile parameters. "
    Could explain further or is there a reference that goes onto more detail on how this works??
    Paul
    w2eck
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I believe it works like this.

Let's say you create  Mic Profile and save is as "Mic1" with the Mic Gain set to 75.

If you load that profile and change the Mic Gain from 75 to 50 for example, the "Mic1" profile will be saved automatically with the new setting of 50.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    "dynamically" means the same thing as "AutoSave".
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Understood...
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Paul,

One thing that you may have missed is that the default settings can not be saved,  you can change them , not save them by that same name,  fill in a new name.   And as said earlier, the changes to that profile will dynamically change  (like if you had knobs,  and moved one,  that setting in that profile selected will change instantly )   wish there was an option to turn off the dynamic ,  but you can save your profiles once you have a good working set.    I made a directory in my display window labeled ,  "Saved Profiles"    then the settings are permanately in that folder with the version number and date..  You can always reload then ..   Also if you do a radio reset  on the radio, your personal profiles are removed ,  and you will only have the default profiles remaining.  A bad or wrong profile can cause some strange things to happen.  

Hope this helps,
    Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

AutoSave without the ability to turn OFF/ON is just plain silly and basically defeats the reason to even have profiles. In my opinion this was as terrible idea that no-one asked for and causes more trouble and creates potential hazards for people who use low drive linear amplifiers and just plain makes the radio more difficult to use.

• bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The profiles used to be perfect and worked great till they were messed up in versions after 2.49 now they are useless, a survey was taken then it was said they would be changed but guess the survey didnt match what was desired so here we are today ... just repeat after me ... profiles work perfect ... right ...
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to explain the changes that were made and how the new "saving" of profines works. Reading in the manual how saving profiles used to work seemed like a great system- but the new one is too confusing and not sure why they had to change it. 

73 Paul w2eck

ps: is there anyone who likes the new system???
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It does not effect my operation at all, Flex explained why it was needed, I wonder if you read that?
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bill - no I haven't. where can I find it?

73 Paul
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Paul,,,Have to search here for it,,but basically they did it because a lot of people were forgetting to save a profile before exiting. As a result the help desk was being swamped with people wondering why their profiles were not saved. By making the profiles auto save it has helped to lower the help request. Then as you may know Eric spent several hours with the community asking what is bothering some customers about the auto saved. And they,,we all replied. Eric said he got all the info he needed and would take it back to engineering to see what the best coarse of action is. It remains to be seen if they will fix it in a way that will satisfy most customers. That about wraps it up...
  • Mark W Scott
    Mark W Scott Member ✭✭
    I was having the same problem/confusion. What worked for me is to think about the process a bit differently. If I want a new profile, I create/save it first with whatever setting may exist. With that new profile name I then make whatever changes I want for the mic profile settings. Done... I need to nothing else, the adjusted settings have automatically been made to the new profile. No that I understand what is going on I have no trouble creating or modifying a mic profile. (I used to make the mic setting changes first and then create/save to a new mic profile name. That no longer works.) I do think the SSDR documentation and Flex videos could do a better job describing the new auto-save functionality and how it works.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Mark - thanks for the feedback,, very helpful

73 Paul w2eck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.