Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What used model Flex would you recommend for me?

Options
N1BBR
N1BBR Member ✭✭
Hello,
I am a CW only op - and I do not run with full-break-in.
I would be interested in your opinion on a possible used Flex model that I could get my feet wet with.

I don't have room for a large box on the desk.
The Flex-3000 form-figure is about the right size for me.

What concerns I should be aware of for my purchase?

Thanks
N1BBR

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The FLEX3000 is a REALLY nice radio and I have had one for many years and still use it on one of my remotes However it requires a FIreWire card in your computer, If you want something more updated that uses Ethernet interface and something about the same form factor then the FLEX6300 with a internal Antenna tuner is about the same size and abilities, If you want one just a little bigger than the 6300 then the 6500 or the best one of all the 6700 which are physically the same size. 
    All but the M version radios can go in another room or out of the way because they don't need to be on your desktop just need good air flow around them.
    The 6600 and 6400 are the larger Form factor but can have the built in screen for stand alone use with the M version. 

Probably the best combination IN MY OPINION for easy CW setup without having to use a computer would be a FLEX6700 and a Maestro but if the 6700 is out of your Price range then the other models will do a great job. 
    With the Maestro you can leave the base radio in the shack and have the Maestro on a GOOD WiFi network around the house, plug in the CW KEY and run CW from say the living room, Kitchen table or with SmartLink anywhere in the world that has good internet and a few IP Ports that can be opened.

Buying used Concerns, Yes ask to see lots of pictures of it operating , If possible ask to have a schedule on the air, Do a search on google for there call sign and see if anyone has complained about them selling **** equipment, STAY AWAY from Prices that are too low to believe, and USE a Payment method like PayPAL (NOT the GIFT method) that you can get your money back if things go bad or buy from FLEX RADIO, they have refurbished radio's.
    Good luck and you will enjoy the rig I am sure whichever one you end up getting. 

Bret
    WX7Y

• john crilly
    john crilly Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Another possibility would be a 1500. Uses USB so no firewire issues, but is only 5 or 10 Watts.
  • N1BBR
    N1BBR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks John,
    Something to look at - even if I would be looking for a little more power than that.
    Thanks

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I've had a 6600 for a month now and I'm totally in love with it, I don't know how I lived all these years without a pan adapter and waterfall display. As I write this I watching the 15, 20, 30 and 40 meter bands for activity.

Since this rig is controlled with a Maestro or laptop computer desk space isn't a consideration, just place the box anywhere that's convenient in the shack.  I'm in the process of moving my Flex 6600 to a rack where my antenna and ground cables enter my QTH. The space consideration you're going to have is for computer monitors.  With the ability to monitor multiple bands simultaneously you can find yourself with a large number of programs open at once.

If you feel you only need two slice receivers one of the pre-loved Flex 6400s is offering would be a good choice.

If you're even mildly interested in contesting then the Flex Signature Series seem to me to be the perfect way to go.

I think the biggest consideration anyone should have is the paradigm shift from knobs and buttons to a keyboard and mouse to run the radio.

If you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Roger, NK1I
  • N1BBR
    N1BBR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Great post Roger!
    I get a thrill out of the prospect of being able to monitor or work multiple bands.

Are you using the 6600 for predominantly CW?
    And if so - how do you deal with timing issues such as latency issues or chopped dits/dahs issues which were known to occur with previous models in CW mode?

I understand some users would implement an external Iambic keyer with its own audio output and listen to that while sending in order to deal the latency issue. 

And perhaps the chopped dits/dahs issue could be resolved by not using full-break-in, and increasing the delay prior to xmit parameter?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.